The time has come for the sweet potato to rise up from the soggy depths of fry oblivion and take its rightful place as a legitimately crispy contender! It just needs a little help because, like the rest of us, it didn’t wake up like this.
Science to the rescue! Salting draws moisture to the surface of cut vegetables, we’ll wait to salt until fully cooked. Tapioca flour eliminates surface moisture, resulting in the satisfying crunch we’re after.
Soggy no more, my friends. Let us rejoice!Print
Crispy Sweet Potato Oven Fries
- Move rack to top position in oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Peel the sweet potato and slice into thin (we did 1/4” x 1/2”), uniform fries. Placed cut fries in a single layer on a paper towel and, once all fries are cut, dab away any excess moisture. Please note, we haven’t tried this with thicker fries.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and all spices except for the salt.
- Place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl and dump flour mixture on top. Toss to coat evenly. Remove the excess flour mixture from the bowl. Leaving it in will result in a thicker, visible coating that cooks faster than the potatoes and can burn. Yes, we learned this the hard way.
- Drizzle the oil over the potatoes and toss to coat again. You may be tempted to add more oil. Don’t. Just keep tossing until coated.
- Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking sheet and spread them, spaced as far as possible. If you are making more than one potato, you will need more than one baking sheet. If they’re too close there will be too much moisture, and the fries will not crisp up.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip, and return oven for up to another 15 minutes, depending on the size of your fries. Stay with them, as this goes quickly. We’re afraid you’re going to have to taste one of the fries to check (we call it “quality control”). Great fries do not come without great sacrifice.
- When both sides of the fries are equally browned, turn the oven off, open the door part way, and let sit for 5-10 minutes to finish crisping. This timing will also depend on how thin your fries are, so more quality control may be in order. We believe in you.
- Sprinkle with reserved salt to taste and serve immediately.
Keywords: sweet potato fries, oven fries, crispy fries, paleo, low-fat, grain-free, gluten-free