You can use any kind of cod you want, but for years, we’ve been getting these amazing cod fillets from Sam’s Club. They’re individually wrapped and can be cooked from frozen, making them no-waste and super convenient. We’re not affiliated with SC, but these are seriously worth sharing, and they’re wild-caught, so no gross fish farms.
At only 90 calories per 4.5-ounce serving (plain), cod offers a mildly flavored protein that takes on seasoning well and doesn’t overwhelm the way some fish can (we are picky like toddlers and loathe salmon). That leaves a lot of room for adding rich flavors without battering or frying.Print
Lemon Baked Cod.
- 2 cod fillets or loins, about 4 ounces each (thawed or frozen)
- Generous pinch of dried parsley flakes (or minced fresh parsley)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving, if desired
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and tear a second sheet of foil to make a pouch for the fish. Set aside.
- Melt the ghee over medium heat until hot, then pour into a small measuring cup or mug. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir. Allow to cool a few minutes, then add lemon juice. Note: Failure to wait will result in a sizzling volcanic reaction from the hot ghee. Don’t do it. I mean… that’s what we heard from some guy… or something.
- Place the pouch foil on the baking sheet and then place the fish in the middle, about two inches apart.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of the seasoned butter over each piece of fish (be sure to scoop up the seasonings). Sprinkle with parsley and season each piece with an additional pinch of ground pepper. Bring the long ends of the foil together and fold over. Fold the short ends of the foil upward twice to form a tent shaped pouch.
- Baking times will vary from 15-30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish and whether it was frozen or thawed. Cod is fully cooked when the flesh becomes opaque and flakes easily. Overcooked cod is rubbery, so don’t overdo it.
- At the 15-minute mark, remove from oven and open the pouch and test. If it’s not done, flip the fish and sprinkle with parsley, then close pouch and return to oven for another 5-15 minutes.
- When cod is fully cooked, plate and drizzle with about another teaspoon of the butter sauce, again picking up as much seasoning as possible. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Keywords: lemon baked cod
This dish pairs nicely with our Cheesy Roasted Broccoli and can share the oven since they both bake at the same temperature. Start on the broccoli first and you’ll end up with a perfectly timed meal.
Why yes, you ARE awesome.