Grown-up Instant Pot Chuck Roast
- 3-pound chuck roast, thawed
- 2 cups unsalted beef broth or beef bone broth, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 large carrots cut into large chunks (2–3 inches)
- 1 large yellow onion, halved then sliced thin
- 4 large red potatoes, cut into thirds (or medium, cut in half)
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps sliced thick or an 8 ounce package of cremini/baby bellas, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons homemade Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (Cabernet, Pino Noir, Merlot)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil, divided
- 1 tsp thyme, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
- In a small bowl, all the rosemary, garlic powder, and onion powder, plus 1/2 teaspoon of basil, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to use as a spice rub for the roast. Set aside. Place the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of basil, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in another small bowl to add to broth later. Set aside.
- Remove roast from package and pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle with half a tablespoon of avocado oil on each side and rub into meat. Sprinkle with the seasoning mix on both sides and rub into the meat. Set aside on a plate to rest at room temperature.
- While the roast is resting, heat a large sauté pan or skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon avocado oil. Add onions and sauté until translucent and starting to caramelize. Transfer half of the onions to the bottom of the Instant Pot bowl. Set the remainder aside.
- Increase the heat on the pan to high heat and allow the pan to get hot. Place the roast in the pan to sear. Place the Instant Pot rack on the plate where the roast was. When the first side is seared and browned, flip the roast and sear the other side. Remove the roast from the pan and place on instant pot rack. Remove pan from heat and add 1 cup of broth to deglaze. Scrape up any browned bits that are on the bottom of the pan.
- Place the rack with the seared roast on top of the onions in the Instant Pot. Cover with remaining onions then surround and cover with the vegetables. Pour the reserved cup of broth over the top.
- Combine remaining spices, minced garlic, wine, and homemade Worcestershire sauce in a large measuring cup, then add the broth from the pan. Stir well to combine, then pour over the vegetables and roast.
- Place and close Instant Pot lid. Set manual/high pressure for 60 minutes (this does not include preheat or release time). When Instant Pot is finished cooking, wait 10-15 minutes (depending on how large you cut your vegetables) and then carefully vent the remaining pressure. When the pressure valve drops, open and transfer vegetables and roast to a serving platter. Tent with foil and allow to rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
- To make gravy from the remaining broth, pour into a separator and allow the oil to rise to the top of the container. Pour broth into a small-medium sauce pan over low heat. Prepare a slurry of cool water and tapioca flour, arrowroot flour or cornstarch 2-3 tablespoons water to one tablespoon powder. Stir until smooth and then add to pan. Whisk until thickened. Even better, keep it simple and serve the separated liquid as au jus. Separate and reserve some liquid for heating up leftover meat.