We whipped up this seasoned fish with shredded red cabbage and mixed greens slaw in no time. So flavor-packed, we’re not gonna ruin it with crazy sauces and unnecessary fat. Simple pleasures, people.
Quick and easy grain-free fish tacos, perfect for a weeknight meal.
- 2 thawed white fish fillets (we’re using cod, about 4.5 oz each)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 2 tbsp lime juice, divided
- 1/2 lime cut into wedges for garnish
- 1 tsp dried cilantro flakes (or fresh cilantro), divided
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mixed greens, spinach, or romaine lettuce
- 3 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- Grain-free tortillas or Cassava Coconut Tortilla Chips
- Simple Guacamole
For the Fish
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil then place an additional piece of foil on the pan. You’ll use this to make a pouch for the fish.
- Rinse the fillets under cold water, pat dry with a paper towel, and transfer to foil sheet.
- Drizzle each fillet with one teaspoon of oil and one teaspoon of lime juice, coating all sides.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/8 teaspoon each of cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, white pepper, and garlic powder. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture and 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro over the fish, seasoning both sides.
- Bring the long sides of the foil sheet together and crimp shut, then turn the short sides up and crimp to form a pouch. This will steam the fish and preserve the liquid, which doubles as a fantastic sauce.
- Bake until fish is opaque and flaky through the center, 10 to 25 minutes, depending on thickness of the fish and if you’re cooking from thawed or frozen.
- After removing from oven, keep the pouch intact and allow fish to rest at least 5 minutes. Transfer the fish and liquid to a bowl, then break into chunks.
For the Slaw
- While fish is baking, combine the remaining tablespoon of lime juice, reserved 1/2 teaspoon cilantro, and teaspoon of oil with pinches of salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Shred 1 1/2 cups each of red cabbage and greens of your choice and place in a bowl. You will pour the seasoned lime juice over the slaw just before serving. Add the red onion now or serve as an optional garnish.
Putting it Together
- Serve immediately. Assemble as bowls or tacos by piling on slaw, fish and guacamole. Garnish with more red onion or a squeeze of lime juice, if desired.
- Makes six generously filled street sized tacos, or up to four bowls.
- The fish, unseasoned slaw, tortillas, and guacamole can be refrigerated overnight in separate airtight containers for next-day leftovers.
Keywords: fish tacos, cassava tortillas, guacamole, soft grain-free tortillas