If you’re avoiding lectins and really miss grains, sorghum is the bomb (since it has no hull, it contains no lectins). Sorghum’s light, nutty flavor makes it as versatile as rice, and it never gets soggy, so you can make a massive batch and portion for freezer storage.
Stove top and slow cooker sorghum take hours, but Instant Pot does it with a cook time of 20 minutes (about an hour all-in). Make a pot on its own or in this amazing soup. Since sorghum contains a whopping 22g protein per cup, it’s an ideal replacement for barley in vegetable soup.Print
Hearty and delicious vegetable soup with sorghum.
- 3 cups baby bella mushrooms, chopped (about an 8 oz package)
- 3 large carrots, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 leek, sliced thin (about a cup)
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into bite sized pieces (about a cup)
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 1/3 small rutabaga, cut into bite sized pieces (about a cup)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups low-sodium or unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sorghum, sorted and rinsed
- Salt to taste (after cooking)
- Trim the green part of the leek off then trim the roots off. Slice in half lengthwise. Turn onto flat side and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place the thin slices in a bowl of cold water to clean. The leeks will float while any grit sinks to the bottom of the bowl. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sliced weeks from the bowl and discard the water.
- Clean peel and chop all remaining vegetables into bite-size pieces.
- Measure 1 cup dry sorghum then pour into a fine mesh strainer. Sift through the sorghum removing any bits of debris if necessary. Rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
- Add the sorghum and all other ingredients to the Instant Pot. If using unsalted broth, add 1/4 tsp salt now. If using low-sodium or salted broth, wait until after cooking and season to taste.
- Set to Soup/High Pressure for 20 minutes. Allow Instant Pot to release naturally.
- Serve immediately.
Keeps in refrigerator in an airtight container for one week. Can be frozen in an airtight container up to three months.
Keywords: vegetable sour, sorghum, vegan, lectin-free