These Instant Pot Vegan Red Beans are a meal in a bowl. Make this big batch to enjoy for dinner, divide for lunches or portion out and freeze for meal prep.Print
Instant Pot Vegan Red Beans
- 1-pound bag of dry red kidney beans, presoaked for 2–3 hours
- 3 cups low-sodium or unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies, with liquid (10 oz)
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes, with liquid (14.5 oz)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped sweet bell pepper
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp dried cilantro
- 2 tbsp Homemade Chipotle Adobo Sauce (or store bought, if you must)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- Rinse and sort beans then add to a large bowl and cover buy a few inches with cold water. Allow the beans to soak for a minimum of 2-3 hours (preferably 6-8). You can skip this step, but presoaking will result in fewer broken beans. If skipping the presoak, add an additional cup of broth to the pot.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté (normal heat level) and add 1 tablespoon oil and the chopped onions. Cook until translucent and beginning to caramelize. Add 1 cup of the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot to deglaze.
- Add all remaining ingredients (be sure to strain and rinse the beans again) and stir to combine.
- Set Instant Pot to Manual/High for 25 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve over cauliflower rice (to keep it grain-free), white or brown rice, or even on its own.
Keywords: Red Beans, Adobo, Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free