Serve up all the decadent creaminess of a potato soup without the carbs and fat. This silky Creamy Cauliflower Leek Soup is just as delicious without the parmesan cheese for a vegan option.
So decadently creamy, you’ll forget it’s good for you.
- 4 medium-large leeks, cleaned and chopped into half moons
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium or unsalted chicken/bone broth (vegetable broth for vegan option)
- 1 cup unsweetened, plain almond milk
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated from a block (omit for vegan/paleo options)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp ghee (use a total of 3 tbsp EVOO for vegan option)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste after cooking)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
Tip: For easy cleaning, briefly rinse leeks then cut. Place cut leeks into a large bowl of cold water and swish around by hand. Let sit for 5 minutes. The leeks will float to the top while the grit sinks to the bottom. Gently remove leeks with a slotted spoon and discard the water.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté and add oil, ghee, leeks, and celery, stirring until the leeks begin to wilt, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and stir frequently for another 1-2 minutes.
- Turn the sauté function off and add broth, almond milk, and herbs and spices to the pot. Stir to combine and distribute the seasoning. Add the cauliflower and stir again, then add the bay leaves.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set to Manual/High for 10 minutes. Allow natural release for 10 minutes after cook time ends, then vent manually.
- Once the pin drops, open Instant Pot, remove the bay leaves, and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it is completely smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, divide the soup and puree in small batches in a regular blender or food processor.
- Return the pureed soup to the Instant Pot (or to a large pot/slow cooker to keep warm) grate 1-3 cup fresh parmesan cheese from a block – do not use that sawdust stuff, it will clump up and ruin this otherwise beautiful soup. Let sit for a few minutes, then stir again to distribute melted cheese evenly.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Omit cheese for vegan and paleo options, top with vegan parmesan, if desired.
- Cover tightly until ready to serve. Stir well again and serve garnished with chives, nutmeg, sprigs of rosemary and thyme, extra parmesan cheese/vegan parmesan, as desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container 3-5 days.
Keywords: cauliflower leek soup, creamy soup, holiday meals, vegan option, paleo option