We’re not going to lie, baking grain-free bread from scratch every week is a major time suck and it’s difficult to make only what you need. We tried a lot of test recipes for Grain-Free English Muffins, both microwave and oven versions, all of which fell short of our expectations. In the end, we developed this gem, and determined that a combination of flours was in order. Microwaving produced the best results, so you can enjoy this single-serve English muffin in just a few minutes.
To keep things light, we stuck with egg whites and olive oil instead of whole eggs and coconut oil or ghee. We cut the coconut flour with tiger nut flour (less starchy than cassava flour) to prevent over drying. Nobody wants a mouthful of sawdust with their morning coffee. We used arrowroot flour to eliminate the dry and crumbly texture and provide just enough elasticity. The apple cider vinegar counteracts the sweetness of the flours and makes this taste like an actual English muffin, instead of a downgraded mug cake. Don’t skip it. Do enjoy your breakfast sandwich!Print
Grain-Free English Muffins in under 5 minutes.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a 4-inch ramekin or large microwave-safe mug that has a flat bottom.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a separate mug or measuring cup.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix thoroughly. Make sure to go around the edges with a rubber spatula to avoid any air or flour pockets.
- Microwave for 80-90 seconds (depending on microwave wattage), then let sit for one minute.
- Run a knife around the edge of the ramekin or mug, then flip to release. Turn the muffin on its side and slice in half or into thirds (thinner slices are better for sandwiches), then immediately toast in a toaster oven. The slices will still be steaming, which will keep the inside moist while the outside toasts. Cool muffins will toast faster.
When measuring, pack and level all flours.
Makes two very thick slices or three thinner slices.
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
Keywords: BREAKFAST, PALEO, LOW-CARB, ENGLISH MUFFIN, QUICK ENGLISH MUFFIN, MICROWAVE ENGLISH MUFFIN, QUICK BREAKFAST