This method for Perfect Soft Boiled Eggs is really a combination of boiling and steaming. All we can tell you is that this is how Grandma used to make them, so it’s how we do it now. The only tricks to this method are using a timer and working in small batches (up to 4 large eggs). We call this recipe “perfect” because the eggs come out just right every time. It’s so easy, even we can’t screw it up.
As a kid, it was something special to break out the egg cups and dunk toast into the soft yolks. This is also a great way to achieve a poached egg texture with more consistent results and sans vinegar taste. Simply peel the egg and use as a topping for salads, egg roll bowls, grain-free toast, etc.Print
Perfect Soft Boiled Eggs
- 2–4 cold large eggs (remove from refrigerator as soon as you begin heating the water)
- 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- Water for small sauce pan (make sure the pan is just big enough to accommodate the eggs)
- Pinch of salt plus salt and pepper for serving
- Optional for dipping: Grain-free bread or English muffins, cut into sticks and toasted. Very crispy strips of oven roasted bacon (or turkey bacon).
- To a small sauce pan, add 1/2 to 3/4 inch of water, a teaspoon of vinegar, and pinch of salt. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce to a strong simmer on medium heat.
- Use kitchen tongs to gently place the eggs in the water, cover tightly, and start timer for 6 1/2 minutes.
- Continue on medium heat until timer is done, then uncover and transfer the pan to the sink. Run a steady stream of cold water into the pan, trying to avoid directly running over the eggs (this helps to avoid cracking). Continue running cold tap water over the eggs for 30 seconds if serving in an egg cup and 60 seconds if you intend to peel. The cold water stops the cooking process.
- To serve in an egg cup, use the edge of a butter knife to tap around the circumference of the egg, about a quarter of the way down from the top. Pop the top off of the egg and serve with a small spoon, salt and pepper, and optional dipping sides.
- Serving Size: 1 Egg
Keywords: breakfast, eggs, soft boiled eggs, paleo, keto, grain-free, gluten-free