Our Grain-Free Enchilada Sauce is packed with all the authentic flavor you expect to find in this classic favorite. You control the heat and sodium, and we’ve swapped the traditional corn starch with arrowroot for a grain-free version everyone can enjoy.
This batch makes a close to three cups, and the sauce can be frozen for up to six months, so you’ll always have some on hand. We even made pizza with it.Print
Grain-Free Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups low-sodium or unsalted vegetable broth (vegan option) or chicken bone broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp arrowroot flour
- 2–3 tbsp chili powder, depending on heat preference
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste, if needed)
- 1/8 tsp ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon or allspice
- Combine chili powder and arrowroot flour in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large measuring cup, combine tomato paste, broth, salt and all remaining spices. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat (2-3 minutes). Carefully whisk the arrowroot and chili powder mixture into the oil (it will foam up a bit when first added). Continue whisking constantly until the chili powder begins to brown.
- Add the tomato mixture to the pan and whisk until smooth. Reduce heat to medium-low (there will be spatter if heat is too high) and simmer for 7-10 minutes to thicken and release the flavor from the spices.
- Remove from heat, whisk the vinegar into the mixture, and season with additional salt and ground black pepper, if necessary.
Refrigerate in a glass airtight container for up to 1 week.
Freeze for up to 6 months. For single-serve portions, divide into an ice cube tray, freeze, and store cubes in a zip top bag with air removed. Each cube is about two tablespoons.
Smoked paprika can be used in place of ground chipotle chile pepper.
Keywords: Enchilada sauce, enchiladas, vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, paleo, low-fat, sauce