Oven roasting turns simple red bell peppers and cauliflower into a smoky sweet soup that is flavorful and satisfying. The cauliflower blends to a silky, texture that creates a rich creaminess without any added fat or calories. Charring the peppers under the broiler and adding a bit of smoked paprika turns this simple soup into a restaurant quality meal that is vegan-friendly and paleo-compliant.
We know…we had you at “roasted red peppers”. What are you waiting for?Print
Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup
- 4 large red bell peppers (or 5 medium)
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium or unsalted vegetable broth or chicken bone broth for non-vegan option, divided
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
Roasting the Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and place racks in top two positions. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to a small bowl.
- Quarter bell peppers from top to bottom, then deseed, devein, and remove stems. Brush both sides of peppers with oil and place on one of the baking sheets, skin side up.
- Rinse the cauliflower head and pat dry. Cut the cauliflower stems and florets from the stalk (you want to keep the stems on the florets). Cut the larger florets in half, if necessary, to keep florets uniform in size, around 3″ wide. Brush both sides with oil and place the florets, cut side down, on the second prepared baking sheet (keep them in a single layer).
- Place the peeled garlic cloves on a piece of foil and drizzle with a teaspoon of the remaining oil. Fold the foil upward to form a pouch and place the pouch onto one of the baking sheets with vegetables. Place cauliflower on the top rack and peppers one rack below. Roast both sheets for 30 minutes.
Prepping Instant Pot
- With 10 minutes roasting time left on the vegetables, set Instant Pot to sauté and add remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and shallots. Cook, stirring frequently, until the shallots begin to caramelize, then turn Instant Pot off and add 1 cup of broth to deglaze the pot.
- Scrape the bottom of the pot well, then stir in salt, spices, and another 1 1/2 cups of broth.
Putting it Together
- Remove cauliflower and garlic from the oven. Transfer peppers to top rack or broiler and set to high broil. Broil the peppers until the skin begins to bubble and blacken. If you plan to keep the skin on, you’ll want the peppers slightly blackened. If you plan to peel the skins, wait until there are large dark patches across all the peppers. Remove peppers from oven as soon as desired level of charring is achieved.
- Carefully add the garlic, peppers, and cauliflower to Instant Pot. If peeling the peppers, let rest 5-10 minutes before peeling, then handle with caution. Add any liquid from the pepper pan to the Instant Pot.
- Seal Instant Pot and set to Manual/High for 10 minutes. Allow natural release for 10 minutes, then vent manually.
- Remove lid and use a ladle to remove 1 1/2 cups of broth. Use an immersion blender to blend until completely smooth, then add 1/2 cup liquid back in. If you don’t have an immersion blender, work in batches to run the soup through a blender.
- The soup will be thick and creamy. Use the remaining cup of broth, 1/4 cup at a time, to achieve a thinner consistency if desired. The broth is absolutely delicious on its own, so don’t let it go to waste.
- Season with additional salt and ground black pepper, to taste. Serve hot garnished with fresh basil or a spoonful of coconut milk for a decadently rich flavor. In the summer, this soup can also be served cold. It’s delicious both ways with crusty grain-free bread or cassava tortilla chips.
Cooking time does not include pressurizing and venting time.
If you like a little heat, garnish with sriracha, chili garlic sauce, or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days. Freeze up to 6 months.
Keywords: paleo, vegan, low-carb, low-fat, roasted red peppers, cauliflower, creamy soup, vegetarian, soup, vegetable soup, red pepper and cauliflower soup, sweet and smoky, gluten-free, grain-free, keto, dairy-free