We are not ashamed to say that we’re the kind of people who used to wait all year for those world-famous Peanut Butter and Chocolate Eggs to come out. You know the ones. Now that we’re off of refined sugar, they’re off limits, so we came up with our own version using natural peanut butter, Swerve Confectioners Sweetener, and Lily’s Dark Vegan Baking Chips. We like them just as much as the original and can enjoy them without the sugar bomb.
We used a 12-well silicone egg mold we found at HomeGoods, and each well is about 1.5 x 2.5 inches. Measurements will vary depending on the mold used. Be prepared to do some extra testing and quality control if you have excess peanut butter and chocolate left over. Challenging as it may be, we believe in you! We used our excess melted Lily’s and roasted almonds to make Chocolate Almond Bunnies. Everybody wins!Print
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Eggs
- Melt Lily’s in a double boiler and remove from heat as soon as it is mostly melted. Stir constantly with a rubber spatula until fully melted.
- Continue stirring until the chocolate cools and is only slightly warm. Return to the double boiler and gently heat a bit more, then remove from heat again. This is as close as we can come to tempering Lily’s since it behaves a bit differently from milk-based chocolate.
- Use a pastry brush or food-safe paint brush to generously coat each of the egg wells, making sure to fill any designs in completely. Refrigerate 5-10 minutes until set. Brush on a second layer and refrigerate another 5 minutes or so.
- While waiting for the chocolate to set, measure peanut butter in a large measuring cup, then add Swerve and stir until completely smooth. It will be the consistency of soft play dough.
- Divide the peanut butter into 13 equal portions and roll into balls. Press one ball into each egg-shaped well and flatten the surface. Use the Reserved peanut butter mixture to fill in any extra space in the wells, if needed. Be sure to leave space for the rest of the chocolate.
- Fill in the wells with remaining chocolate and use a rubber spatula or offset spatula to scrape off the top of the mold (so you’ll have clean edges).
- Return the mold to refrigerator for 20 minutes then freeze for 1-2 hours. Perform rigid quality testing on any remaining chocolate and peanut butter mixture. This is serious business, after all.
- Pop the eggs out of the mold while still frozen and return to refrigerator (do not serve frozen).
Refrigerate eggs up to a week in an airtight container. Serve refrigerated or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1 Candy
Keywords: PEANUT BUTTER, CHOCOLATE, PEANUT BUTTER EGGS, PEANUT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE EGGS, EASTER EGGS, EASTER, CANDY, DESSERT, SUGAR-FREE, KETO, LOW-CARB, CANDIES, VEGAN