Know what’s better than chocolate? Double chocolate. That’s why we put our heads together and finally perfected a melt in your mouth Double Chocolate Pound Cake. There is zero oil or butter in this cake, people. Coconut milk makes the cake rich and silky and our secret weapon to replace all that fat is unsweetened applesauce. Yep, applesauce. Now you know. Go forth and make this chocolate grain-free goodness.Print
Grain-Free Double Chocolate Pound Cake
- 3 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Anthony’s blanched almond flour, packed and leveled
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened apple sauce (one single serve 4-ounce cup)
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- 1/4 cup Lily’s Dark Baking Chips
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, packed and leveled
- 3 tbsp Anthony’s coconut flour, packed and leveled
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- Optional: 1 tbsp Powdered Lakanto Sweetener (for dusting)
- Line bottom and sides of a glass loaf pan with parchment, place oven rack at center position, and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Note: we have not tested this in a metal pan.
- Reserve a pinch of salt from the 1/4 teaspoon measurement, then add salt, almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine and break up any lumps.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla, coconut milk, apple sauce, and Lakanto Classic to a large measuring cup, whisk with a fork to combine, then add to the dry ingredients and whisk together until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whip egg whites with a hand mixer, starting on low and gradually increasing to medium speed, until egg whites form stiff peaks. Add the reserved pinch of salt as soon as the egg whites begin to foam. This will help to stiffen them up. This step sounds like a lot of work but it’s not. It takes about a minute, and the texture of the pound cake is light and fluffy because of this step.
- Gently fold about a third of the whipped egg whites into the batter and continue folding until fully incorporated. Repeat with half of the remaining egg whites, and finally add the last of the egg whites and Lily’s baking chips. The batter will be lighter and just a bit thinner now. Fold until fully mixed.
- Gently transfer to the prepared loaf pan and smooth out into an even layer.
- Bake 40-50 minutes – cake is ready as soon as a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (there may be a few grains of almond flour, that’s fine, just no wet dough). Do not open the oven more than necessary while baking. Remove from oven and place the loaf pan on a cooling rack. Do not remove cake from pan until fully cooled.
- Carefully remove the cooled cake, peel off the parchment, and transfer to a serving plate. Dust generously with powdered Lakanto, if desired. Slice and serve. Cake is also delicious when served cold.
Refrigerate, wrapped tightly in plastic up to four days.
Freeze, wrapped tightly in plastic and sealed in a zip top bag, up to a month. Defrost in refrigerator and keep wrapped until ready to serve.
Keywords: CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, PALEO, FLOURLESS, EASY CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE, DESSERTS, HOLIDAYS, EASTER, CHRISTMAS, THANKSGIVING, POTLUCK, SUMMER DESSERTS, PICNICS