Feta and Herb Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 large head cauliflower, rinsed and patted dry, stem and leaves removed
- 1 lemon, half juiced, and the other half cut into six wedges
- 1 bunch flat leaf (Italian) parsley
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled feta cheese, like Krinos (from a block)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Brown Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp each salt and ground black pepper, plus extra to taste
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- Optional: Tzatziki sauce and olives for serving
- Place rack at center position and preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease the bottom of a Dutch oven with a tablespoon of the olive oil and set aside. Grease the bottom of an 8 to 10-inch cast iron skillet (depending on the size of the cauliflower) with a tablespoon of the olive oil and set aside. Note: If you don’t have a Dutch oven, you can use the cast iron skillet and cover the cauliflower with foil but cooking time will vary.
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt and spices, Swerve, vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup oil. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Flip cauliflower upside down and drizzle the remaining two tablespoons of oil into the spaces between the florets stuff 3 of the sliced garlic cloves up into the florets wherever you can reach. The garlic will roast and flavor the inside of the cauliflower. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, and brush some of the balsamic mixture between the florets where possible.
- Flip the cauliflower, core side down, over the Dutch oven and place inside. Gently separate florets enough to stuff remaining garlic slices around the outside of the cauliflower (when you let go, the florets will spring back and pinch the garlic into place). Stir the balsamic mixture again and brush 3/4 mixture over the outside of the cauliflower.
- Place the cover on the Dutch oven and roast for 25 minutes. Remove cover and roast another 15-20 minutes.
- While cauliflower is roasting, remove the leaves from the parsley bunch, chop finely, and measure 1/2 cup loosely packed. Crumble the cheese into the parsley and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and test with a long skewer. The cauliflower should be cooked but still a bit firm, otherwise it will fall apart when sliced. Carefully transfer the cauliflower from the Dutch oven to the cast iron skillet.
- Brush remaining balsamic mixture onto the outside of the cauliflower, then press handfuls of the parsley and cheese mixture onto the outside of the cauliflower. Cover the cauliflower as completely as possible. Return to oven and roast another 5-10 minutes, until cheese begins to melt. Serve immediately with lemon wedges, and Tzatziki sauce, and olives, if desired.
Keywords: WHOLE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER, ROASTED CAULIFLOWER, GARLIC, HERBS, FETA, FETA CHEESE, BALSAMIC GLAZE, MEDITERRANEAN, GREEK, HEALTHY SIDE DISHES, GRAIN-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, LOW-CARB, LOW-FAT