Nothing tastes quite like homemade chicken soup made with a whole chicken. Our Instant Pot Whole Chicken Soup is as classic as it gets with the added convenience of quick pressure cooking over hours of simmering on the stove. This version sticks to the basics with ingredients and is fast enough to make on a weeknight. Make a batch to divide and freeze for home cooked office lunches or quick meals on busy nights.Print
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Soup
- 1 4 to 5-pound whole chicken, rinsed
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 medium carrots cut into rounds
- 4 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 8 cups unsalted chicken broth or bone broth, divided
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Rinse chicken and remove gizzard pack. Remove skin from top and bottom of chicken, leaving skin on thighs, wings and legs intact. Place the chicken, breast side up, in the bottom of a 6-quart Instant Pot (or larger). Note: If you have a larger Instant, Pot, you may be able to use a larger chicken.
- Cover the chicken with onions, carrots, and celery.
- Add salt and pepper, the pour in chicken broth or stock until just under the “Max Fill” line on your Instant Pot. This will vary, depending on the size of your model.
- Set Instant Pot to Manual/High for 25 minutes. Allow for natural release or vent manually after 15 minutes of natural release.
- Carefully remove chicken from the liquid and transfer to a large platter. Add any remaining broth to the Instant Pot and turn on Sauté/Low to heat through.
- Remove light and dark meat from the bones and shred lightly with two forks. Turn Instant Pot off, transfer shredded meat back to the Instant Pot and stir. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if preferred. Serve as-is or over cooked noodles, if desired.
We remove part of the skin to reduce fat content but leave it on if you prefer a richer broth.
Refrigerate in airtight containers up to 4 days.
Freeze in airtight containers up to 3 months.
Total time does not include pressurizing/venting time.
Keywords: CHICKEN SOUP, INSTANT POT, PALEO, KETO, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, EASY CHICKEN SOUP, HOMEMADE CHICKEN SOUP, LOW-CARB, LOW-FAT, HEALTHY MEALS, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, LEFTOVER LUNCHES, SOUPS, CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES