Our Italian Herb Whole Roasted Cauliflower is so delicious, it tastes like garlic bread but is vegan, paleo, and keto friendly. Kids of all ages will want to eat this vegetable. If you like Mediterranean flavors, try our Feta and Herb Roasted Cauliflower.Print
Italian Herb Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 head of cauliflower, stem trimmed and leaves removed
- 2 large garlic cloves, 1 sliced lengthwise and 1 minced
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing
- 1 tbsp melted ghee (use a 4th tbsp oil for vegan option)
- 1 tsp Homemade Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Optional: Shredded parmesan or vegan parmesan (omit for paleo option), fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Place rack at center position and preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease the bottom of a Dutch oven with a tablespoon of the olive oil and set aside. Grease the bottom of an 8 to 10-inch cast iron skillet (depending on the size of the cauliflower) with a bit of olive oil and set aside. Note: If you don’t have a Dutch oven, you can use the cast iron skillet and cover the cauliflower with foil but cooking time will vary.
- Flip the cauliflower head stem side up and stuff the sliced garlic deep between the stems. Drizzle with a tablespoon of the olive oil, getting the oil far down into the crevices. Place cauliflower head floret side up in a Dutch oven.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of oil, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and minced garlic, then brush the mixture over the outside of the cauliflower.
- Place the cover on the Dutch oven and roast for 25 minutes. Remove cover and roast another 15-20 minutes, checking after 15. Test with a long skewer. The cauliflower should be cooked but still a bit firm, otherwise it will fall apart when sliced. Set oven to high broil, carefully transfer the cauliflower from the Dutch oven to the cast iron skillet, and brush with melted ghee or olive oil.
- Garnish options: Sprinkle with grated regular or vegan parmesan cheese and broil until cheese begins to turn a golden brown (just a few minutes). Remove from oven, garnish with fresh parsley, and serve immediately.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container 3-5 days.
Keywords: CAULIFLOWER, WHOLE ROASTED CALUIFLOWER, ITALIAN HERBS, GARLIC SAUCE, HERB SAUCE, DUTCH OVEN, ROASTED CAULIFLOWER, PALEO OPTION, KETO, LOW-CARB, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, VEGAN OPTION