We’ve heard a lot of buzz the past few months about Panera’s Ten Vegetable Soup, which is vegan and the chain’s first new soup in several years. Kudos on the vegan option, but this soup also contains gluten, grain, and soy. We gave it a makeover and are pleased to present our Grain-Free Ten Vegetable Soup featuring cauliflower rice in place of grains, cannellini beans for a creamier texture, and fire roasted vegetables for amazing flavor.
We also used kale in place of spinach and amped up the vegetable content to make this a hearty meal…without the giant chunk of bread (though cassava baguettes are a perfect side). Finally, we made this a large batch recipe for Instant Pot, that’s also freezer friendly so you can enjoy it any time. Like the original, serving with fresh lemon is a must.Print
Grain-Free Ten Vegetable Soup
- 8 cups low-sodium/unsalted vegetable broth (vegan option) or low-sodium/unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) fire roasted tomatoes with liquid
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen cauliflower rice, thawed
- 6 medium carrots, peeled (3 chopped and 3 whole)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chopped kale, packed (stems removed)
- 1 fire roasted red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 fire roasted yellow bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 fire roasted poblano pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ancho chile powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard powder
- Salt to taste (depending on broth)
- Lemon slices/wedges for garnish
- In a large measuring cup, combine all spices, coconut aminos, vinegar, tomato paste, garlic, and a splash of broth.
- Cut peppers in half, deseed, and roast over an open flame grill, under a broiler, or right on a gas range burner. Roast each pepper, skin side to the flame until desired char is reached. Cool and chop.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté and heat avocado oil. Add onions and cook, stirring as needed, until starting to caramelize.
- Add celery and chopped carrots and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes, then add about a cup of broth to deglaze the pot. Scrape any browned areas thoroughly.
- Add tomato paste mixture, peppers, bay leaves, tomatoes (with liquid), and remaining broth and stir well. Add whole carrots and seal the Instant Pot.
- Set to Manual/High for 8 minutes with “keep Warm” turned off. Allow natural release for 5 minutes after cook time ends, then vent manually. Once the pin drops, remove the Instant pot lid and set to Sauté. Stir to find the bay leaves and discard.
- Remove the three whole carrots and a cup of broth. Puree the carrots and 1/2 cup of broth, then add the remaining 1/2 cup and pulse again. Add the puree mixture back to the soup.
- Add the cauliflower rice and cannellini beans and cook until the cauliflower rice is just tender (5-8 minutes).
- Turn Instant Pot off, add kale and lime juice and stir. Let sit for 5 minutes then serve (just want to wilt the kale a bit). Serve with lemon wedges/slices.
Refrigerate up to 4 days in an airtight container after cooling.
Cool completely and freeze in airtight containers up to 6 months.
Keywords: TEN VEGETABLE SOUP, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, VEGETABLE SOUP, INSTANT POT, SOUP, PANERA COPYCAT, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, LOW-FAT, LOW-CARB, FREEZER FRIENDLY, SOY-FREE