Armed with a fresh bunch of Russian kale from Trogg’s Hollow CSA and Market Farm, we set out to try our hand at kale chips as part of our Eat Local Series. This sweet and mild variety has just a hint of pepper and its broad, flat leaves crisp up beautifully. We combined cumin and coriander for a finish that makes our Crispy Spiced Kale Chips taste a bit like toasted pumpkin seeds. So good, one tray never made it to the table for pictures.
Trogg’s Hollow CSA and Market Farm is a family-owned and run microfarm doing biointensive urban farming in Poplar Grove, Illinois. They offer shares and sell seasonal produce on location at their farm stand. Find them at Rockford City Market on Friday evenings all summer (more info following recipe).Print
Crispy Spiced Kale Chips
- 1 bunch fresh kale (preferably Russian variety)
- 1–2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (depending on type and size of kale bunch)
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- Scant 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Combine salt and spices in a small bowl and set aside. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F and place oven racks in top two positions.
- Rinse and dry kale, then remove ribs and cut into uniform pieces (2-3″). Place the kale in a large bowl and drizzle with one tablespoon olive oil. If needed, add more one teaspoon at a time. We’re going for a very coat. Toss to coat evenly, then sprinkle with half of the spice mixture and toss again to coat evenly.
- Lay the seasoned kale in a single layer on two large rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheets, flip the kale, and return to oven, rotating the sheets between the racks. Bake another 7-10 minutes or until crisp, watching carefully so the kale does not burn. Finishing time will vary depending on the kale variety and leaf thickness.
- Season with the reserved spice mixture, to taste, then plate and serve immediately.
Line an airtight container with a piece of paper towel and store at room temperature up to 2 days.
Keywords: KALE, KALE CHIPS, OVEN CRISPED KALE CHIPS, VEGAN, KETO, PALEO, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, FARMERS MARKET, LOCAL PRODUCE, EAT LOCAL, HEALTHY EATING, HEALTHY SNACKS
In addition to year-round produce, Trogg’s Hollow features dairy goats, laying hens, turkeys, ducks, guinea fowl, and honey bees. This pesticide-free farm utilizes regenerative agriculture and crop rotation to ensure sustainable farming capabilities for years to come. Though not certified, all Trogg’s Hollow produce is grown in accordance with (or beyond) organic certification standards.
Visit their onsite farm stand at 11577 Poplar Grove Road, Poplar Grove, IL 61065 and call 872-222-5584 or check out their farm stand hours online (at the bottom of their shop page). You can also visit them at the Rockford City Market on Friday evenings.