We’re fans of Owl’s Roost Farm’s “Stir Fry Greens”, a revolving mix of baby greens (such as mustard, kale, arugula, etc.), which can be used fresh or cooked in a myriad of creative ways. The mix is a bit different each time throughout the season but is always versatile and fresh as can be. This time around, we turned them into a fresh pesto and used it to top socca and dress up zucchini noodles as part of our Eat Local Series. The Mixed Baby Greens Pesto can also double as a dip for fresh veggies, crusty cassava bread, and even chips.Print
Mixed Baby Greens Pesto
- 2 tightly packed cups mixed baby greens (mustard, arugula, kale, turnip, chard, etc.), thicker stems removed
- 2 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup whole raw almonds, measured then roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Scant 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (or vegan parmesan), to taste
- Add greens, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic, and 1/3 cup oil to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the almonds and continue pulsing.
- To use as a dip, pulse the almonds to a finer consistency to result in a thicker pesto.
- To use as a sauce, pulse the almonds to desired consistency and add the remaining oil, a teaspoon at a time, as necessary.
- Cover and refrigerate in an airtight container for 30 minutes before using.
Total time does not include resting time.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If adding parmesan, add the entire 1/2 cup olive oil with the greens.
Keywords: PESTO, FIELD GREENS, MIXED GREENS, BABY GREENS, MUSTARD GREENS, BABY KALE, BABY ARUGULA, ALMONDS, PALEO, KETO, VEGAN, FARMERS MARKET, LOCAL PRODUCE, EAT LOCAL, HEALTHY EATING, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE
Owl’s Roost Farm is built on sustainable farming practices, environmental stewardship, and community outreach. In addition to providing nutritious produce to the Rockford area, Owl’s Roost Farm offers tips, ideas, and recipes to ensure that their veggies make it to your plates (use #owlseatveggies to add to the inspiration). Owl’s Roost Farm is currently at the North End City Market in Rockford and offers limited local delivery CSA subscriptions. Follow them on Instagram.