Did you know you can make pesto out of different kinds of greens? True story. We put Owl’s Roost Farm’s “Stir Fry Greens” (baby greens such as mustard, kale, arugula, etc.) to work as the base for a Mixed Baby Greens Pesto that takes just minutes to make. While the pesto was resting, we spiralized zucchini and red bell peppers. Then we threw it all together and called it Vegetable Noodles with Mixed Baby Greens Pesto…because real food doesn’t need creative marketing. Check out our growing Eat Local Series for more local produce ideas.Print
Vegetable Noodles with Mixed Baby Greens Pesto
- 2 pounds zucchini, spiralized
- 2 large red bell peppers, spiralized
- 1 batch Mixed Baby Greens Pesto
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: Grilled chicken breasts, finely grated parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan, fresh basil for garnish
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels, then spiralize the zucchini and place in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon salt and let rest 10-15 minutes. This will “sweat” the zucchini, so you don’t end up with a soupy mess.
- Trim the tops off the peppers (leave bottoms on to anchor in spiralizer), remove seeds and white pith, and spiralize with a single flat blade attachment. You’ll end up with one long ribbon for each pepper. Cut into sections, about 12″ long and set aside on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Rinse the zucchini noodles in a large colander under cold running water, strain, and blot with paper towel.
- Heat a large sauté pan (or a large pot if you’re messy like us) over medium heat, then add zucchini noodles. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Distribute pesto sauce evenly over the noodles and toss again until evenly coated. As soon as the zucchini starts to become tender, remove from heat, add the spiralized peppers, and toss again to coat. Total pan time is about 5 minutes to heat through. You’ll have al dente zucchini noodles and crunch in the peppers.
- Transfer to serving bowl or plate to serve immediately. Top with grilled chicken, parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan, or fresh basil, as desired.
Keywords: ZUCCHINI NOODLES, ZOODLES, RIBBON CUT PEPPERS, RED BELL PEPPERS, PESTO, FIELD GREENS, MIXED GREENS, BABY GREENSALMONDS, PALEO, KETO, VEGAN, FARMERS MARKET, LOCAL PRODUCE, EAT LOCAL, HEALTHY EATING, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE
Owl’s Roost Farm is built on sustainable farming practices, environmental stewardship, and community outreach. In addition to providing nutritious produce to the Rockford area, Owl’s Roost Farm offers tips, ideas, and recipes to ensure that their veggies make it to your plates (use #owlseatveggies to add to the inspiration). Owl’s Roost Farm is currently at the North End City Market in Rockford and offers limited local delivery CSA subscriptions. Follow them on Instagram.