We had some crazy junk food cravings this week. We’re talking mozzarella stick and tater tot level stuff. Fortunately, we were able to squash them with some fresh zucchini from Shade Valley Produce at the HCC Realty Farmers Market/Colonial Village and this easy Grain-Free Zucchini Tots recipe. Check out our Eat Local Series for more local produce inspiration.
See what we did there? Of course you did.
Pop ’em plain and they taste like tots. Dip them in marinara sauce and they taste like mozzarella sticks. No breading, no starch bomb, and no frying.Print
Grain-Free Zucchini Tots
- 2 packed cups roughly grated zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp Anthony’s coconut flour
- 1 tbsp Anthony’s arrowroot flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Generous pinch ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil to grease muffin tin
- Optional: Marinara sauce for dipping
- Place oven rack at center position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a box grater to roughly grate 2 packed cups of zucchini. Place measured zucchini in a clean cotton towel, cheese cloth, or potato ricer and squeeze excess liquid out. Place squeezed zucchini in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with paper towel. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let rest 10 minutes to sweat out any remaining excess liquid.
- While zucchini is resting, generously grease a metal 24-well mini muffin tin (or two 12-well tins) and prep the remaining ingredients.
- Add nutritional yeast, coconut and arrowroot flours, Italian seasoning, and ground pepper to a small bowl and mix to incorporate.
- Add eggs to a large mixing bowl and beat lightly, then add onions and garlic and mix to combine. Add zucchini and cheeses to the wet ingredients bowl and toss to coat evenly.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet, making sure that all dry ingredients are fully incorporated and evenly distributed. Let rest 5 minutes (this allows the coconut and arrowroot flours to activate and absorb excess liquid).
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 24 wells and press down firmly to pack. There should be just enough mixture to fill the wells without spilling over.
- Bake on center rack for 15-20 minutes. The tots will be golden brown on top and a deeper brown around the sides. Watch closely after 15 minutes so cheese does not burn.
- Remove from oven and immediately go around the edges of each well with a knife or toothpick to separate the tot from the sides of the tin. Let sit about 5 minutes before attempting to remove the tots. They need some time to finish off and firm up.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve with marinara sauce or condiment of choice (they’re also delicious as-is). Serve immediately.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container up to 4 days. Freezing is not recommended.
Keywords: ZUCCHINI, ZUCCHINI TOTS, TOTS, LOW-CARB, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, EAT LOCAL, LOCAL PRODUCE, HEALTHY TATER TOTS, HEALTHY SNACKS, QUICK MEALS, APPETIZERS, SIDES
Shade Valley Produce employs chemical-free farming practices and sells fresh seasonal produce and eggs at their on-farm market, which is located at 5240 E. Knoup Rd. in Dakota, IL. Call 815-275-2610 for hours visit their Facebook page, or find them at the HCC Realty Farmers Market/Colonial Village on Friday mornings all summer long.