We used fresh tomatoes and garlic from Yaeger’s Farm Market in DeKalb, IL to whip up a fast and easy Vegan Black Bean Soup that satisfies like a stew and is packed with protein and vegetables (more info following recipe). Oven roasting the tomatoes and garlic creates a rich, smoky flavor that is well worth the effort. If you’re not on the grain-free train and live in the Northern Illinois area, Yaeger’s is known to have the best sweet corn around. Check out the rest of our Eat Local Series for more delicious ideas on how to eat your veggies.Print
Vegan Black Bean Soup
- 3 large garlic, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium carrots, cut into rounds or half moons
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large onion, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 3 cans (14.5-15 oz) reduced sodium black beans, 2 drained and rinsed and 1 with liquid
- 1 package (12 oz) frozen cauliflower rice
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried cilantro or 2 tsp fresh minced cilantro
- 1/8 tsp each salt ground black pepper, divided
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- Set oven rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place chopped tomato and garlic cloves in a single layer on a foil lined pan and drizzle with a tablespoon of oil and pinches of salt and pepper. Roast 15-20 minutes, until garlic is very soft, flipping after 10 minutes.
- While tomatoes and garlic are roasting, measure 1/4 cup tomato paste and add remaining salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. Mix well and set aside.
- Drain and rinse two cans of beans but leave the liquid in the third can.
- Prep onion, carrots and celery, then set instant Pot to Sauté and add the remining tablespoon of oil. Add onion and cook until translucent and starting to brown. Add celery and carrots and cook 5-7 minutes until beginning to soften and brown.
- By now the garlic and tomato should be done roasting. Mince the garlic and add garlic and tomatoes to the vegetables in the Instant pot. Stir and immediately add the seasoned tomato paste. Stir again and distribute in an even layer on the bottom of the pot. Let sauté one minute then scrape and stir.
- Add about a cup of broth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add remaining broth, beans, cilantro, and cauliflower rice (break up any chunks). Stir, cover and set Instant Pot to Manual/High for 7 minutes. Allow natural release for 10 minutes after cook time ends then vent manually.
- Serve topped with diced avocado and lime wedges.
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Freeze in airtight container up to 3 months.
Cook time includes venting time but not pressurizing time, which can vary by model.
Keywords: VEGAN, BLACK BEANS, BLACK BEAN SOUP, VEGAN SOUP, INSTANT POT, QUICK MEALS, HEALTHY RECIPES, PLANT BASED, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, VEGETARIAN, EAT LOCAL
Located in DeKalb, IL, Yaeger’s Farm Market has been a family-owned farm for more than 50 years. They grow plants and 20 acres of seasonal fruits and vegetables, including their famous sweet corn. More recently, they installed over 100 solar modules which provide the majority of the power for the farm and reduce its carbon footprint significantly.