Soft Vegan Grain-Free Tortillas that can also be used as wraps.
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 1/2 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk, cold
- 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour, packed
- 1/4 cup cassava flour, packed
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour, packed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (for pan)
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Generous pinch ground black pepper
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- In a large measuring cup, add almond milk, flax egg, and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, then beat until completely combined.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat – it is critical that the pan is hot.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and whisk vigorously to combine. Consistency will be like a thin pancake batter. If it thickens as it site between batches, add reserved water, one spoonful at a time, as needed.
- Brush the hot pan with avocado oil and add about 1/4 cup of batter, quickly swirling to distribute the batter to form an 8-inch circle. The trick is to get these uniformly thin.
- Cook 2-3 minutes or until bottom is browned to preference, taking care not to burn. Time will vary depending on type of pan (cast iron is quicker than ceramic). Flip and cook other side until done. Set aside on a wire rack to cool (this prevents them from getting soggy).
- Repeat with remaining batter. Makes about 4-6 tortillas, depending on thickness and size. Serve immediately.
These can be stacked with parchment and frozen or refrigerated but get a little tough when cold. Warm leftovers in pan or toaster oven to soften for best results. They will turn rubbery if microwaved.
Note the reserved water. You will likely need to add more liquid, one tablespoon at a time, depending on the flour brand you are using. All flours we used in this recipe are from Anthony’s Goods, and we used the entire 3/4 cup water. However, when working with other brands, we’ve used slightly less. We pack and level all flour measurements.
Keywords: GLUTEN-FREE TORTILLAS, VEGAN TORTILLAS, SOFT GRAIN-FREE TORTILLAS, FLOURLESS, PLANT-BASED, VEGETARIAN, PALEO