A rich and creamy, smoky, Vegan Cauliflower Queso with just a touch of heat.
- 2 packed cups bite sized cauliflower florets and chopped stems
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, halved lengthwise
- 3/4 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup canned cannellini or great northern beans, drained and rinsed (low-sodium, if possible)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped jalapeno pepper (deseeded)
- 1 tsp tahini paste
- 1/2 tsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 tsp chipotle chile powder
- Pinches of salt and ground black pepper
- Generous pinch of smoked paprika
- Place oven rack at top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine cumin, chili powder, chipotle chile powder, salt, and pepper.
- To a large bowl add cauliflower, onions, jalapeno, and garlic. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat, then sprinkle with spice mixture and toss again to coat evenly.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip/stir, then return to oven for another 5-10 minutes, watching closely after 5. Cauliflower and garlic should be very tender.
- To a food processor or blender add the roasted cauliflower mixture, nutritional yeast, beans, tahini paste, coconut aminos, smoked paprika, and almond milk (add almond milk last). Pulse to combine, scraping down sides as needed, then blend thoroughly until creamy and smooth.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Taste again and add more smoked paprika, salt and pepper if needed. For thinner sauce, add more almond milk a tablespoon at a time.
Refrigerate in a glass airtight container up to 5 days, stirring well before using.
Keywords: VEGAN QUESO, VEGAN CHEESE SAUCE, QUESO, BEANS, SAUCE, DIP, PLANT-BASED