We headed back to Shade Valley Produce at the HCC Realty Farmers Market/Colonial Village for some more of their fantastic squash and zucchini (more info following recipe). If you’re looking for a way to hide veggies in your kids’ treats, these rich and fudgy Flourless Zucchini Brownies are a great option. Check out more recipes made with local seasonal produce on our Eat Local Series.
The hardest part of this recipe is waiting because these brownies are best after being refrigerated overnight. This is where the magic happens – yay science!Print
Flourless Zucchini Brownies
- 1 flax egg (or 1 large egg for non-vegan option)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and grated zucchini, tightly packed (we used a box grater)
- 1 cup smooth almond butter, no sugar added (store bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or one 4-oz single-serve container)
- 2 tbsp Lakanto Powdered Sweetener*
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup Lily’s Dark Baking Chips (vegan and sugar-free)
- Pinch of salt
- Set oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 metal baking pan with parchment paper (bottom and sides) and set aside.
- Add a tablespoon of ground raw flaxseed (flaxseed meal) to a small bowl or mug. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons room temperature water and stir. Let sit at least 5 minutes before using.
- Use a box grater to shred the zucchini and tightly pack to measure 1 1/2 cups, then place half of the measured zucchini into a food processor and add the vanilla.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the sweeteners, baking soda, and cocoa powder with a pinch of salt. Sprinkle over the zucchini in the food processor.
- Add the almond butter and applesauce to the food processor and pulse until completely combined and mostly smooth.
- Add the flax egg (or regular egg) and remaining shredded zucchini and pulse just enough to combine (there will still be chunks from the newly added zucchini). Add Lily’s chips and pulse a couple of times to distribute. Remove blade and stir with a rubber spatula to combine completely, then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs are fine, just not liquid). Cool in pan, then carefully remove and cut into squares. Place the cut squares in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers, if stacking. Now the hard part…refrigerate OVERNIGHT, then they’re ready to serve.
Cut with a plastic knife for cleaner slices and fewer crumbs (because physics).
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Lakanto Powdered Sweetener is 2x’s sweeter than granular sugar. We used it to add sweetness without the dry bulk to keep the brownies moist and fudgy.
Keywords: BROWNIES, GRAIN-FREE, FLOURLESS, LOW-CARB, SUGAR-FREE, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, ZUCCHINI BROWNIES, EAT LOCAL, GLUTEN-FREE, PALEO
Shade Valley Produce employs chemical-free farming practices and sells fresh seasonal produce and eggs at their on-farm market, which is located at 5240 E. Knoup Rd. in Dakota, IL. Call 815-275-2610 for hours visit their Facebook page, or find them at the HCC Realty Farmers Market/Colonial Village on Friday mornings all summer long.