There’s something to be said for simplicity and Salsa Verde a perfect example. Made with roasted tomatillos and peppers, it’s a pleasantly tangy departure from its tomato salsa cousin. Great as a sauce or dip with a flavor that speaks for itself. Enjoy it with our Cassava Coconut Tortilla Chips.Print
Simple Salsa Verde made with roasted tomatillos and peppers.
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatillos
- 1 medium jalapeno, halved lengthwise, seeded, and stem removed*
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves and small stems, packed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Soak tomatillos in a large bowl of cold water for 5-10 minutes before husking to help remove the sticky coating on the skin. Husk, then rinse and slice in half from top to bottom.
- Set oven rack one down from top position (if broiler is in oven). Set to Broil/High and allow to preheat.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and place tomatillos and jalapeno, cut side down. Broil until lightly charred on top (brown not black). The tomatillos will go from bright green to a brownish lighter green with brown char spots. Check frequently, removing charred vegetables as needed and returning pan to oven until all vegetables are done. The pepper will char fastest. More brown char spots = smokier flavored salsa.
- Roughly chop the charred pepper before adding to a food processor with all other ingredients, including lime juice.
- Pulse to desired texture from small chunks to a coarse puree, but not too fine. Transfer to glass airtight container and chill at least 3-4 hours before serving. Tomatillos contain pectin so this salsa holds up well and doesn’t release liquid the way fresh tomato salsa will.
*Use one jalapeno for mild/medium salsa and two for hot salsa.
Store in glass airtight container up to a week. Freeze in airtight container (once chilled) up to 3 months. Salsa will be more watery after freezing and is best for a chunkier blend.
Keywords: TOMATILLO SALSA, SALSA VERDE, GREEN SALSA, VEGAN, KETO, PALEO, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, PLANT-BASED, LOW-FAT, HEALTHY DIPS, APPETIZERS, SNACKS, VEGETARIAN, SAUCES