We’ve been waiting for broccolini all summer and finally found some at North end City Market this past weekend. Broccolini is milder and sweeter than regular broccoli and doesn’t need dressing up too much. Thinner stalks make it ideal for blanching and tossing in a garlic and lemon mix for a light side dish that pairs well with just about any protein.
Join us in Eating Local this summer and support farmers in your local communities.Print
Garlic Lemon Broccolini
- 1 pound fresh broccolini
- 1 lemon, half juiced, and half cut into wedges
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt for boiling
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Trim about an inch off the bottom of the broccolini stalks. For thick stalks, cut in half lengthwise 3/4 of the way up to the head.
- Juice half of a medium lemon and cut the other half into wedges. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil then add a tablespoon of salt (it’s cool, we’ll rinse it off in an ice bath). As soon as water is boiling, prepare an ice bath in a large bowl (big enough to submerge the blanched broccolini). Add broccolini to the boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes (set a timer).
- Strain broccolini and immediately submerge in the prepared ice bath to halt cooking. After about a minute in the ice bath, transfer the broccolini back to the strainer and let drain until almost ready to serve.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. Swirl the oil around the pan then add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add the broccolini, sprinkle with pinches of salt and ground black pepper, and toss to coat with the garlic and oil.
- Pour lemon juice evenly over the broccolini and toss again. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges.
Keywords: BROCCOLINI, BLANCHED, LEMON, GARLIC, SUMMER VEGETABLES, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, EAT LOCAL, PALEO, KETO, LOW-CARB, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, PLANTBASED, PLANT-BASED, SIDE DISHES