- 2 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Recommended: 2 cups chunky vegetable homemade marinara sauce (or store bought)
- Halve the eggplants lengthwise and score crosshatch pattern. Do not cut all the way through. Sprinkle scored halves with the teaspoon of salt and let rest 20 minutes. Don’t freak out, we’re gonna wipe it all off.
- Set oven rack to top position and preheat to 425 degrees F. Combine oils and minced garlic in a small bowl or measuring cup with a pinch of ground black pepper. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- After 20 minutes, blot moisture and salt from the eggplant with paper towels. Let rest 10 minutes more and repeat, then flip and brush skin side with the oil mixture and place onto the prepared pan, skin side down.
- Add the Italian seasoning to the oil and stir well, then brush the cut sides of the eggplants generously with about half of the remaining oil mixture, making sure to get the minced garlic and seasoning in between the crosshatch cuts.
- Roast, skin side down, for 15 minutes, then remove from oven, brush cut side with remaining oil, and flip to cut side down.
- Finish roasting another 10-15 minutes, until eggplants are tender (time will vary, depending on size of eggplants).
- While eggplants are finishing, heat marinara sauce (if using). Remove finished eggplants from oven, let rest 2-3 minutes before plating. Serve with marinara (topped or on the side), if desired.
Serves four as a side dish and two as a main course.
Keywords: EGGPLANT, EASY ROASTED EGGPLANT, GARLIC EGGPLANT, MARINARA, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, KETO, PALEO, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, EAT LOCAL, PLANTBASED, PLANT-BASED, SIDES, SIDE DISHES, MAIN COURSE, FARMERS MARKET, LOCAL PRODUCE, HEALTHY EATING