Kale and Quinoa Salad
For the Quinoa
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth (or unsalted chicken broth for omnivores)
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed and strained
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste after cooking
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper, plus more to taste after cooking
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
For the Salad
- 2 sweet bell peppers (combination of red/orange/yellow/aloha), diced
- 1 English cucumber, quartered, deseeded, and chopped
- 1 bunch kale, rinsed, stems removed, and leaves finely chopped
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (about 2 cups)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, loosely packed, measured then finely chopped
- 3 large fresh basil leaves, chiffonade cut
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt, to taste
For the Quinoa
- Combine all quinoa spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a medium pot with a lid over medium heat and add oil and onions. Cook until translucent and beginning to caramelize. Add minced garlic and stir, cooking until fragrant, about another minute.
- Add vegetable broth to deglaze and scrape the bottom of the pot, then add the spice mixture and rinsed quinoa. Stir and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low to simmer. Continue cooking until all excess liquid is absorbed, stirring as needed to prevent burning.
- Once fully cooked, transfer to a large dish to cool.
For the Salad
- Combine all salad spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Prep all vegetables, then add the kale to one large bowl and the cucumber, tomatoes, and peppers to another bowl. Juice the lime and half a lemon into a measuring cup or mug. Pour 2 teaspoons of mixed juice over the tomato mixture and the rest over the kale. Toss each bowl of vegetables to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle half of the salad seasoning mixture over the kale and toss, then sprinkle with half of the remaining mixture and about 2/3 of the parsley and fresh basil and toss again. You’ll be left with a quarter of the original spice mixture – sprinkle that and the remaining basil and parsley over the mixed vegetables and toss to coat.
Putting it Together
- To serve as one large salad, add cooled quinoa to kale and toss to combine, then add mixed vegetables and gently toss again. Serve immediately.
- To serve individually, divide the kale between 8 plates or bowls and top with quinoa and mixed vegetables. Serve immediately.
- If you are cooking for one or a smaller crowd, halve the recipe and refrigerate kale, mixed vegetables, and quinoa separately in airtight containers. Leftover vegetables will last a couple of days. The quinoa will keep for about 4.
Cooked quinoa freezes beautifully. Divide and firmly pack into an ice cube tray and freeze, then transfer to a zip top bag with air removed. Store up to 3 months. Each cube is about two tablespoons, perfect for topping a single-serve salad. This recipe makes about 2 cups of cooked quinoa.
Keywords: KALE SALAD, QUINOA SALAD, CURRY, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, PLANT-BASED, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, PARTY FOOD, EASY MEALS, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, LEFTOVER LUNCHES, EAT LOCAL