They say necessity is the mother of invention and we couldn’t agree more. We really wanted some chocolate today but were…well…fresh out (incredible). We also revisited our failure to communicate with the discovery that the cocoa powder container was almost empty.
Without further ado, this is the true story of how we discovered Lakanto’s Drinking Chocolate isn’t just for drinking. That’s right, you can use it to make ultra-delicious Sugar-Free Chocolate Bars. Oh yeah, they’re also dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan. We made Sugar-Free Chocolate Bars in roasted almond, coconut, sea salt, cranberry walnut, mocha, and orange, all on one mold.Print
Sugar-Free Chocolate Bars
For the Chocolate
- 3 ounces raw cacao butter, by weight (we used Terrasoul brand)
- 1/4 cup Lakanto Drinking Chocolate, packed and leveled
- 3 tbsp Coconut Milk Powder, packed and leveled (we used Terrasoul)
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Powdered Sweetener
- 1 tsp dark roast instant coffee
For the Add-ins
- Chopped roasted almonds
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Coarse sea salt
- Orange extract (to taste), orange zest
- Chopped walnuts and dried cranberries (unsweetened or homemade sugar-free sweetened)
- Dark roast instant coffee
- Whatever else your little heart desires
Prep the Molds
- We used this silicone break-apart bar mold. Each of the six wells holds up to three tablespoons of liquid. Each bar can be broken into four pieces. As written, the recipe filled one of these molds (six bars) to maximum capacity. If your add-ins are bulky, you may have enough to make seven bars.
- Place molds on a baking sheet for stability. Make sure you have room in your refrigerator to accommodate the sheet and keep it level. Sprinkle chopped nuts, shredded coconut, orange zest, instant coffee powder (generous dusting), coarse sea salt (very light sprinkle), etc., into the wells. If using dried fruit, place one small piece in each square so there is fruit in every piece. Don’t overdo it or you will have bubbles and voids in the chocolate.
- Keep additional ingredients on hand to add another layer while filling the molds, if desired.
For the Chocolate
- Run the instant coffee crystals through a spice grinder or place in a bowl and smash into a fine powder with the back of a spoon.
- Place a sifter or fine mesh strainer in a medium bowl, then use a 1/4-cup scoop to measure the Lakanto Drinking Chocolate (pack and level with a knife) and add it to the sifter. Add the coconut milk powder, Powdered Lakanto Sweetener, and instant coffee and sift the dry mixture into the bowl and set aside.
- Bring water in the pot of a double boiler to a rolling simmer.
- Weigh cacao butter, chop into small uniform chunks and place in the bowl of the double boiler. Place the bowl on top of the double boiler pot and remove from heat. When most of the cacao has melted (2-3 minutes), begin whisking and continue until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the dry mixture, one heaping tablespoon at a time, while whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed with a rubber spatula. Continue whisking 1-2 minutes, again scraping down the sides as needed. If using flavored extracts, ass now and adjust to taste. Let sit 2-3 minutes, whisk again.
Putting it Together
- Spoon chocolate mixture into silicone candy molds, filling about halfway. Tap the baking sheet on the counter to work out any bubbles. Add more nuts, etc., if desired, then top off with remaining chocolate mixture until wells are completely full.
- Carefully tap again, then refrigerate uncovered for at least 2 hours before removing the bars from the molds (larger/deeper molds will need more time to set).
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 2 weeks or freeze in a reusable silicone zipper bag with excess air removed up to 2 months.
Keywords: PALEO CHOCOLATE, SUGAR-FREE CHOCOLATE, DAIRY-FREE CHOCOLATE, VEGAN CHOCOLATE, MOCHA, ALMOND, ORANGE, CRANBERRY WALNUT, COCONUT, CHOCOLATE MOCHA, SALTED CHOCOLATE, PLANT-BASED, PLANTBASED, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, LOW-CARB, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, PALEO, TREATS