We typically like a traditional thin marinara sauce that is loaded with chunky vegetables (peppers, onions, fire roasted tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, and carrots). In this recipe, most of the liquid in the thinner sauce is absorbed by the pasta so we add a can of tomato sauce to make a richer sauce that will “stick” to the noodles.
This dish is also a great place to hide extra vegetables, like zucchini and kale or spinach, and the minced mushrooms, though virtually undetectable in the end, add a meaty umami flavor. After just six minutes of cook time, you’ll have perfect al dente pasta cooked in a rich sauce that flavors the noodles all the way through as it is absorbed. Top with our crazy easy vegan parmesan and enjoy a hearty, protein packed meal that is 100% plant-based.Print
Instant Pot Vegan Chickpea Pasta with Marinara Sauce
- 2 cups homemade vegetable marinara sauce (or other chunky vegetable sauce)
- 2 tightly packed cups chopped kale or spinach
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce (no added sugar)
- 1 8 to 9-ounce box chickpea pasta (We used Barilla Chickpea Rotini)
- 1 8-ounce container baby bella mushrooms, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Vegan parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
- Combine the chunky marinara sauce with the canned tomato sauce in a large measuring cup or a bowl. Set aside.
- Trim and finely mince the mushrooms, or chop and pulse a few times in a food processor. Dice the onion and set Instant Pot to Sauté/Normal. Add the olive oil and onions and cook 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, sprinkle with generous pinches of salt and ground black pepper, stir and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring as needed, until the moisture cooks off and the mushrooms begin to brown. This creates a deep, rich flavor that satisfies like a meat sauce. turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add a cup of the water to deglaze the bottom of the pot and scrape up any browned areas to avoid a burn error. Add the remaining water and stir.
- Evenly layer the remaining ingredients in the following order: kale/spinach, zucchini, dry pasta, then sauce mixture. Spread the sauce evenly over the pasta but DO NOT STIR the layers together.
- Set Instant Pot to Manual/High for 6 minutes. As soon as cook time ends, vent manually. When the pin drops, open the Instant Pot, remove the inner pot and stir. Serve immediately, topped with vegan parmesan.
We remove the inner pot immediately after opening the Instant Pot to separate it from the heating element and stop the cooking process. The pasta will be al dente and will continue cooking and become mushy or pasty if left inside the Instant Pot.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container up to 4 days.
Total time does not include pressurizing/release time.
Keywords: INSTANT POT PASTA, VEGAN PASTA, CHICKPEA PASTA, GLUTEN-FREE PASTA, PLANT-BASED, PLANTBASED, VEGETARIAN, VEGAN, LOW-FAT, HEALTHY DINNERS, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, FAST DINNER RECIPES, INSTANT POT, MARINARA