This Vegan Grain-Free Sweet Potato Galette looks impressive on an appetizer table but is quite easy to make with a little planning. The Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese Spread is rich and savory, creating layers of flavors with the sweet potatoes, and the flaky crust brings it all together for a satisfying appetizer. Great for parties and brunches because the dough and spread can be made a day ahead of time.Print
Vegan Grain-Free Sweet Potato Galette
- 1 batch Savory Vegan Grain-Free Pie Crust (add 3/4 tsp herbes de Provence to the dough)
- 1 batch Savory Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese Spread, divided
- 2 small-medium sweet potatoes (similar shape/size), very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- Generous pinch ground black pepper
Ahead of Time
- Make the pie crust as instructed in recipe, several hours to a day before making the galette. Best when dough is made a day in advance.
- Make the cashew cream cheese spread as instructed in recipe (the cashews need to soak for 2-3 hours, so this can also be made a day ahead of time).
For the Potatoes
- When ready to make the galette, combine salt and spices in a small bowl. Add olive oil to a large bowl. Set oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes. These should be thin, uniform slices (we used a mandolin slicer). Immediately add slices to the large bowl with the oil and gently toss to coat evenly. Once all potato slices are coated, sprinkle with about 3/4 of the seasoning mixture while continuing to toss, coating evenly.
Putting it Together
- Roll the cold disc of dough (do not wait for it to soften) between two sheets of parchment paper to about 1/4″ thickness – the shape is up to you. We are totally inept at rolling circular crusts and tend to opt for oval or rectangular shapes. If you’re similarly challenged, just use words like “rustic” and “artisan” to describe your galette shape and no one will care what it looks like. Peel the top parchment layer off as soon as the desired thickness is reached. Leave the dough on the bottom parchment and place on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Spread a 1/4″ thick layer of the cashew cream cheese on top of the dough, leaving about a 1 1/2-inch margin of plain dough around the edges (this is to fold over). You will have leftover spread. Use it as a dip with grain-free crackers or spread it on bread or toast. We’re not ashamed to say we eat it by the spoonful.
- Beginning at the outer edge of the cashew spread lay the potato slices in an overlapping pattern (circular for round/oval or straight rows for a rectangular galette). The potato slices will shrink slightly and curl at the edges, so you want to overlap a bit on all sides. If your slices aren’t perfect, overlap the thinner parts and leave the thicker parts open so the potatoes will cook evenly.
- Use the parchment to fold the open edges of the dough over (it will cover part of the outermost potato slices). Sprinkle the potato slices with the reserved spice mixture.
- Bake on center rack for 40 minutes. If necessary, cover the crust edges with foil after 30 minutes. This crust just barely browns around the edges when fully cooked so don’t let it go longer than 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing with a large, sharp knife and serving.
Total time does not include dough and spread prep. 8-12 servings, depending on galette shape (rectangle/oval = more servings)
Refrigerate in an airtight container between layers of parchment (save the parchment from baking) up to 4 days. The crust stays flaky!
Keywords: SAVORY GALETTE, SWEET POTATO GALETTE, VEGAN, GRAIN-FREE, PALEO, VEGETARIAN, APPETIZER, PLANTBASED, PLANT-BASED, GLUTEN-FREE