We took the incredible flavors of this Middle Eastern street food favorite and lightened it up with chicken, then tweaked it for Instant Pot to make it even easier.
You’ll have this on the table in about 45 minutes, making it a great weeknight option. To keep things paleo and keto-compliant, for a light meal, serve on a bed of shredded lettuce topped with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions. For the full experience, pile the veggies and chicken on our Grain-Free Naan and drizzle with Tahini Yogurt Sauce.Print
Instant Pot Chicken Shawarma
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about a pound), cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth or bone broth
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne powder (more to taste, if desired)
- Optional: Sliced cucumber, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, red onion for serving. Grain-Free Naan, Tahini Yogurt Sauce.
- Add oil to Instant Pot and evenly coat bottom to prevent burning.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté and add broth and lemon juice. Combine salt and spices in a small bowl, then add to the pot and whisk to combine. Let the liquid heat while you prep the chicken so the spices can combine and begin to release.
- Whisk the liquid again, then add the divided chicken breasts in a single layer. Turn them over a few times to coat both sides in spices.
- Seal the Instant Pot, set to Poultry for 15 minutes, and make sure “Keep Warm” is off. Allow natural release for 10 minutes after cooking time ends, then vent.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the vegetables (and Grain-Free Naan and Tahini Yogurt Sauce, if using).
- Once the pin drops, transfer the chicken to a large glass bowl or serving bowl and let rest for 5 minutes before shredding with two forks.
- While the chicken is resting, set the Instant Pot to Sauté again and reduce the liquid for about 10 minutes, stirring as needed. Pour reduced liquid through a fine mesh sieve over the chicken and serve.
Refrigerate in a glass airtight container up to four days. Note: The turmeric used in this recipe will stain plastic.
Total cook time does not include pressurizing time.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 145.8, Fat: 2.6g, Saturated Fat: 1.2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .4g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.1g, Cholesterol: 66.5mg, Sodium: 209.5g, Potassium: 300mg, Carbohydrates: .5g total/.5g net, Fiber: 0g, Sugar: .3g, Protein: 28.5g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: .3%, Iron: 3.3% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). Information is for chicken only and does not include vegetables, sides, or sauces.
Keywords: INSTANT POT, CHICKEN SHAWARMA, MIDDLE EASTERN, STREET FOOD, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, EASY MEALS, PALEO, KETO, LOW-CARB, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE