Ditch the donut run and whip up a batch of these Paleo Baked Apple Donut Bites for a special breakfast treat, snack, or dessert. Made with ZERO fats or oils, these little darlings are a healthier alternative. Refined sugar-free because they’re sweetened with apples and Lakanto. What are you waiting for?Print
Paleo Baked Apple Donut Bites
For the Donut Bites
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 a medium apple, peeled and finely diced*
- 1/2 cup Anthony’s Coconut Flour, packed and leveled
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plain applesauce
- 1/4 cup Anthony’s Tapioca Flour, packed and leveled
- 3 tbsp Anthony’s Blanched Almond Flour, packed and leveled
- 2 tbsp Lakanto Powdered Sweetener, packed and leveled
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (plain or vanilla), reserved**
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For the Donut Bites
- Set oven rack position to one above center, preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment or Silpat.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl, then whisk slowly combine and work out any lumps.
- Measure the applesauce in a glass measuring cup and add eggs. Whisk together with a fork. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. If the mixture is too dry, add almond milk, a tablespoon at a time. Gently fold in the diced apple and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Scoop 20 portions of dough, about a tablespoon each, roughly shaping into balls before placing onto the prepared baking sheet. Space as far apart as possible on one large tray.
For Golden Cinnamon Rolling
- Combine a tablespoon of Lakanto Golden Sweetener and about 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and dip the top half of the raw donut bites into the mixture.
- Bake sugar side up at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm (but not hot – molten apple) or cool to room temperature.
For Powdered Cinnamon Rolling
- Bake donut bites at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- While donut bites are baking, place a small fine mesh sieve or sifter in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of Lakanto Powdered Sweetener and 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon and sift into the bowl.
- Remove baked donut bites from oven and let rest on pan for 5 minutes before quickly rolling each ball in the sweetener mixture and then placing on a cooling rack. Serve immediately or allow to cool completely before storing.
Best when fresh, but you can cool completely then refrigerate in an airtight glass container up to 2 days.
*Use whatever kind of apple you have on hand. We’ve made this successfully with Granny Smith, Gala, and SweeTango apples. Nutrition information varies slightly by variety.
**If using flour brands other than Anthony’s, you may need more liquid.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 DONUT BITE) – Calories: 37.8, Fat: 1.6g, Saturated Fat: .6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .2g, Monounsaturated Fat: .3g, Cholesterol: 18.6mg, Sodium: 10.7g, Potassium: 44.2mg, Carbohydrates: 4.4g total/4.1g net, Fiber: .2g, Sugar: 1.2g, Protein: 1.5g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 0%, Iron: 1.6% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). Nutrition includes optional almond milk and is estimated using Anthony’s flours, Lakanto sweeteners, and Gala apple.
Keywords: PALEO DONUTS, DONUT BITES, APPLE DONUTS, APPLE DONUT BITES, PALEO, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, OIL-FREE, BAKED DONUT BITES, DAIRY-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, #LAKANTOSWEETENED