Our hearty Za’atar Roasted Chickpea Salad is satisfyingly crunchy, lightly dressed with a hint of lemon and mint, and filled with plant protein to keep you going for hours. The bright lemon dressing brings out the sumac in the za’atar seasoning, balancing against earthy cumin and coriander. With so many layers of texture and flavor, this is sure to become a go-to recipe for plant-based eaters.Print
For the Salad
- 6 Persian cucumbers, halved lengthwise and sliced or 2 English cucumbers, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts, rinsed and chopped
- 3 cups prepared chickpeas (about 1 1/3 cans), rinsed and drained
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1/4 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3 tbsp Homemade Za’atar Spice Mix
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (if using unsalted Za’atar)
For the Dressing
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2–3 fresh mint leaves, minced
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: 1/4 tsp Lakanto Classic Sweetener
For the Dressing
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small airtight glass jar and shake to combine.
- Set aside until ready to use and shake just before dressing the vegetables.
For the Salad
- Add oil to a large sauté pan heated over medium heat. Add the drained chickpeas and toss to coat in the oil evenly. Pan roast the chickpeas for 3-5 minutes, then turn and roast another 3-5 minutes, until they begin to turn golden.
- Sprinkle with za’atar and salt (if using), toss to coat evenly, and remove from heat. Toss again just before serving.
- Prep the cucumber, celery, onion, lettuce, parsley, and green bell pepper. Add to a large bowl and toss together, then add dressing and toss to coat.*
- Divide between six bowls and top with the roasted chickpeas. Garnish with sesame seeds, fresh mint, and/or lemon wedges, if desired, and serve immediately.
*If you know you will have leftovers, mix the vegetables but do not dress. Store dressing, vegetable mixture, and roasted chickpeas separately until ready to eat, up to four days.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/6 RECIPE) – Calories: 250.5, Fat: 10.7g, Saturated Fat: .9g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.6g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 32g, Potassium: 346.5g, Carbohydrates: 30.9g total/23.1g net, Fiber: 7.7g, Sugar: 5.6g, Protein: 8.9g, Vitamin A: 13.7%, Vitamin C: 65.2%, Calcium: 6.8%, Iron: 15.9% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). Nutrion calculated using unsalted, prepared chickpeas and unsalted za’atar seasoning.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Entrée, Salad, Lunch
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: ZA’ATAR, ZATAR, ROASTED CHICKPEAS, CHICKPEAS, GARBANZO BEANS, LEMON GARLIC DRESSING, SALAD, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, MEATLESS, PLANT-BASED, PLANTBASED, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, SUGAR-FREE