You see it every holiday season: new and interesting ways to dress up Brussels sprouts until they taste nothing like Brussels sprouts. Layers of fat, bacon or pancetta, salt, cheese, vinegars, mustards, and sauces – you name it. Why? Because Brussels sprouts suck. There, we said it, and we will die on this hill. In all our lives we have known only one person who genuinely enjoys these balls of doom simply boiled and served as-is. That person happens to live with us, so we have a surplus after every holiday. As it turns out, there is a healthy way to elevate these rascals and make them delicious in the process. We give you perfectly seasoned, plant-based, Air Fried Smashed Brussels Sprouts.
Pro tip: Size matters. Small Brussels sprouts are sweeter, milder, and more tender whereas the larger sprouts are tougher and can be bitter.Print
Our Air Fried Smashed Brussels Sprouts are the answer to your leftovers dilemma.
- 2 packed cups small Brussels sprouts, trimmed, boiled and cooled*
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Anthony’s Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- If working with leftover sprouts, you’re already a step ahead. If not, trim the bottoms from the sprouts, remove the darker outer leaves, and cut an “X” into the stem. Rinse thoroughly and add to a medium pot of cool water with a pinch of salt. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, reduce to medium, cover and cook 7-10 minutes. Sprouts should be tender but not too mushy. Drain and set aside in a strainer to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine all spices and salt. Add cooled sprouts to a large bowl, drizzle with oil, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with seasoning mixture while continuing to toss and coat evenly.
- Use the base of a mason jar to smash each sprout down on a small plate, then transfer to an air fryer basket in a single layer. Keep the thickness as uniform as possible. NOTE: We have a toaster oven with an air fryer setting and wire basket. Batch size and cooking time will vary depending on the size and type of your fryer/tray.
- Set to Air Fry at 400 degrees F. Preheat if you have a toaster oven with an air fryer setting. Air fry for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through if necessary (not needed with a mesh style basket). Remove and serve immediately.
* If using leftover sprouts, no need to heat before seasoning and smashing. Total time assumes starting with leftover boiled sprouts.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 51.4, Fat: 3.4g, Saturated Fat: .3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 85mg, Potassium: 185mg, Carbohydrates: 4.2g total/2.4g net, Fiber: 1.8g, Sugar: 1g, Protein: 1.8g, Vitamin A: 10%, Vitamin C: 62%, Calcium: 1.5%, Iron: 3.3% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: SMASHED BRUSSELS SPROUTS, BRUSSEL SPROUTS, AIR FRYER, AIR FRIED, VEGAN, PALEO, VEGETARIAN, LOW-FAT, PLANT-BASED, LOW-CARB, SIDES, KETO, GLUTEN-FREE, HOLIDAY SIDES, GRAIN-FREE, EASY SIDE DISHES, MEATLESS, HOLIDAY LEFTOVERS