Though elusive, every once in a while, ingredients align and just the right amount of every flavor gets onto the fork to create the perfect bite. Our Apple Beet Salad with Maple Dijon Dressing is a bowl full of the perfect bite with tangy Dijon maple dressing, crunchy SweeTango apples, earthy roasted red beets, mild baby spinach, and toasted pistachios.
Nothing tastes or crunches quite like a SweeTango apple, but if you can’t find them, Honeycrisp (sweet), Pink Lady (sweet/tart) or Granny Smith (tart) apple can be used. SweeTango is a fall apple, available as early as mid-August and as late as early December.Print
For the Beets
- 2 medium red beets
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
For the Salad
- 1 medium SweeTango apple
- 8 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios (lightly salted)
- Pinches of salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt and cold water for the apples (we’ll explain)
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of ground black pepper
For the Beets
- Set oven rack to center position, preheat oven to 425 degrees F, and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Scrub and dry the beets, then rub with a teaspoon of oil each (this helps to loosen the skin during cooking for easy peeling later). Wrap separately in foil, place on prepared pan and roast until fork tender, 45 minutes to one hour. Turn the beets after 30 minutes, and check for tenderness and watch closely after 45 minutes.
- Once the beets are cooked, allow to cool about 15 minutes, unwrap, and carefully peel the skin from the beets. Trim the top and bottom, and thinly slice crosswise. Set slices aside in a single layer to cool completely.
For the Salad
- Shell 1/4 cup lightly salted pistachios and add to a dry skillet that has been fully heated over medium-low heat. Watch closely and stir frequently to avoid burning. As soon as the pistachios become fragrant (3-4 minutes), transfer to a plate in a single layer and allow to cool before chopping.
- Rinse and spin spinach, then toss in a large bowl with a small pinch of salt and generous pinch of ground black pepper. Divide evenly between four plates or wide bowls.
- In a large bowl, dissolve 1 tsp salt in 2 cups cold water and set aside. Slice the apple in half from top to bottom, then thinly slice each half lengthwise, trimming the core from center slices as needed as you go. Immediately place slices into the saltwater mixture, submerge completely, and soak for 10 minutes. Strain apples and rinse thoroughly under cold water. The salt rinses right off and leaves no taste, but the apples won’t brown for an extended period of time.
- Divide the beet and apple slices evenly between the beds of spinach. TIP: Position the beets first, then rinse hands and position the apples to avoid staining the apple slices.
For the Dressing
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a shaker jar or small bullet blender cup and set aside.
- When ready to serve, shake or blend until fully combined, about 15-20 seconds. Blending will whip the mixture up to a thick, creamy sauce that will increase slightly in volume. Shaking will result in a thinner dressing.
Putting it Together
- Drizzle about a tablespoon of dressing onto each salad and reserve the rest for serving – a little goes a long way. If you whipped the dressing, transfer to a zip top bag, snip a small opening in one corner, and pipe sparingly onto the salads and squeeze the rest out into a small bowl.
- Sprinkle each salad with the toasted pistachios and serve immediately.
Beets can be roasted and peeled up to a day ahead of time. Always store in a glass container to avoid staining. Know you’ll have leftovers? Store prepared ingredients separately until ready to eat.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 180, Fat: .5, Saturated Fat: 1g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6.8g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 222.6mg, Potassium: 584mg Carbohydrates: 13.4g total/8.8g net, Fiber: 4.6g, Sugar: 6.8g, Protein: 3.9g, Vitamin A: 112%, Vitamin C: 29.5% Calcium: 6.4%, Iron: 12% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Salads
- Method: Oven Roasting
- Cuisine: Plant-Based, Paleo
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: APPLE BEET SALAD, SWEETANGO APPLES, FALL SALADS, VEGAN, PLANT-BASED, VEGETARIAN, PALEO, LOW-FAT, SIMPLE SALADS, #LAKANTOSWEETENED, MAPLE DIJON DRESSING, GLUTEN-FREE, SUGAR-FREE