Successful salad eating stems from variety in both ingredients and texture. Plenty of people have ordered an Apple Pecan Salad over the years, but maybe not quite like this.
Spiralizing the apples results in an entirely different texture by distributing the crunchiness to every bite. Spring mix adds depth and complexity, and our pomegranate dressing has a negligible sugar net, unlike store brands.
Mix this up further by using different fruit and cheese combinations for options that will keep you on track. Tell us about your favorite combinations!Print
Apple Pecan Salad
For the Dressing
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Golden Sweetener
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses*
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil, to preference
- Pinch each salt and ground black pepper
For the Salad
- 3 cups chopped spring mix or baby spinach
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 small apples (Gala, Granny Smith, SweeTango, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady or Jazz work well)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled (omit or use vegan blue cheese for vegan option)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened or sugar-free dried cranberries, pomegranate arils, or fresh raspberries
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans (our sugar-free sweet cinnamon almonds are also awesome in this salad)
- 2 tsp salt (for soaking the apples…we’ll explain…)
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar or bullet blender. Shake or blend until well combined. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- In a large bowl, dissolve 2 tsp salt in 4 cups cold water.
- Remove stems from apples, wash and dry, and load into a spiral slicer with the bottom of the apple facing the front of the slicer – you’ll cut from bottom to top (we used the small noodle blade). Turn the spiral cutter handle carefully, stopping to remove any seeds that become lodged in the blade. Placed apple “noodles’ into water mixture immediately and submerge completely. Repeat with second apple and soak for 10 minutes. Place a small plate on top of the apples to keep them submerged, if necessary.
- Strain apples and rinse thoroughly under cold water. The salt rinses right off but the apples won’t brown for an extended period of time.
- Divide lettuce/spinach between two plates and top with apples, cheese, fruit and nuts. Dress or serve with dressing on the side, shaking/mixing right before serving.
Dressing keeps for up to a week, refrigerated in an airtight container. Shake well before using.
*Can’t find pomegranate molasses? Reduce 1/2 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice by just over half over low heat, stirring as needed. Add a teaspoon of Lakanto Classic Sweetener, stir to dissolve and simmer another 10 minutes, then remove from heat. Cool to room temperature then store in a glass container up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 3 months.
Keywords: APPLES, PECANS, SALAD, VEGETARIAN, VEGAN, #LAKANTOSWEETENED, PALEO, SUGAR-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE