This Baby Kale and Basil Pesto is our go-to recipe for a lightning-fast sauce that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or meal prep salads. It’s also freezer friendly and stores perfectly up to three months. Make it in summer when cheap ingredients are in abundance and enjoy it in dishes all winter long. Anthony’s Nutritional Yeast takes the place of parmesan cheese, making this a cholesterol-free, plant-based pesto sauce.Print
Ready in minutes and freezer friendly, our Baby Kale and Basil Pesto can be enjoyed all year long.
- 3 very firmly packed cups baby kale (one 5-ounce container)
- 1 loosely packed cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup Anthony’s Nutritional Yeast
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- Measure almonds in a glass measuring cup and cover with boiling water. Let soak while prepping remaining ingredients.
- Combine nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and onion powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a food processor, layer half of the kale, then the basil, then the seasoning mixture, and finally, the remaining kale. Add lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the water.
- Drain the almonds and cover with cold water to cool. If you prefer not to use the skins, now is the perfect time to pop the almonds right out. Drain the cooled almonds and add to the food processor.
- Pulse to begin breaking down, then run continuously while slowly adding oil, one tablespoon at a time. After adding two tablespoons, stop and scrape the bowl down. Resume processing and slowly add remaining tablespoon of oil. Slowly add the reserved water, a teaspoon at a time, if a thinner consistency is desired.
Refrigerate in a glass airtight container up to 4 days. Portion and freeze in an ice cube tray, then transfer to a zip top freezer bag with excess air removed to store frozen up to 3 months.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (2 TABLESPOONS) – Calories: 92.3, Fat: 6.7g, Saturated Fat: .5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .8g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4.3g, Cholesterol: 0g, Sodium: 88mg, Potassium: 219g, Carbohydrates: 4.2g total/2.3g net, Fiber: 1.9 Sugar: .7, Protein: 3.6, Vitamin A: 16.3%, Vitamin C: 25.6%, Calcium: 3.3%, Iron: 4.4% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: PESTO, VEGAN, ITALIAN PESTO, PLANT-BASED, VEGAN PESTO, KALE, BASIL, PASTA SAUCE, KALE PESTO, DAIRY-FREE, PALEO, KETO, BASIL PESTO, GLUTEN-FREE, VEGETARIAN, GRAIN-FREE