Growing up in a European family means having an innate fondness for stuffed cabbage, but it can be a lot of work. Instant Pot and deconstructing the dish changed all that. We are not ashamed to say we will eat this stuff at any time, and for any meal. In our ongoing effort to eat more plants and less animal protein, we recently developed a plant-based version of this family favorite, Beyond Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Bowls. We. Are. Sold.
Unlike ground meat, Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground and its competitors are quite expensive, averaging $7-10 per pound, so we wanted to get this right to ensure a final product with outstanding texture, no IP burning errors, and all the flavor we know and love. We chose Beyond because it contains no gluten or soy. Secondly, we used cauliflower rice because we limit grain, and there is some brown rice protein in Beyond. Finally, we determined that adding mushrooms provides a rich, deep flavor and the order in which ingredients are layered is critical to both texture and the aforementioned burn error. At under 200 calories and 12 net carbs per serving, this is our new freezer staple.Print
- 1 pound Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground
- 1 small head green cabbage, chopped into 1” pieces (about 6 firmly packed cups)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, riced (about 4 firmly packed cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can petite diced tomatoes with liquid (unsalted)
- 1 8-ounce package baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, very finely diced or pulsed in a food processor
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste (unsalted)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Prep all vegetables and set aside separately. Combine tomato paste, salt and spices, Worcestershire Sauce, 1/2 cup of water, and half of the tomatoes with some of their liquid in a blender pitcher or food processor. Pulse until pureed, then transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté and add the oil. Once hot, add the onions and cook, stirring as needed, until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, and stir, then add the Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground, break up into chunks, and combine with the onion mixture.
- Distribute to a uniform layer across the bottom of the pot. Let cook one minute, then flip and break up again. Repeat this process for a total cook time of 4 minutes, then press cancel to turn the Instant Pot off, transfer half of the meat mixture to the tomato puree bowl, and the other half to a separate bowl.
- Use the remaining 1/2 cup of water to deglaze the bottom of the pot and be sure to scrape up any browned bits. Add the cabbage to the pot and top with the remaining tomatoes and liquid (from the can). Next, add the plain Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground and top that with the cauliflower rice. Finally, add the tomato/Beyond mixture and spread into an even layer over the cauliflower rice.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set to Manual/High for 7 minutes. After cook time ends, allow natural release for 10 minutes, then vent manually. Gently stir to combine all ingredients and serve.
Cool completely and refrigerate in glass airtight containers for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat in microwave or over medium-low heat in a pan. Total time does not include pressurizing and venting time.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 CUP) – Calories: 188, Fat: .8.4g, Saturated Fat: 2.1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.9g, Monounsaturated Fat: .7g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 417mg, Potassium: 564mg, Carbohydrates: 17.6g total/12g net, Fiber: 5.6 Sugar: 7.5, Protein: 13.6, Vitamin A: 10%, Vitamin C: 94%, Calcium: 9%, Iron: 11% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Entrée, Main Course
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: European, Plant-Based
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: BEYOND MEAT, UNSTUFFED CABBAGE, BEYOND GROUND, INSTANT POT UNSTUFFED CABBAGE, VEGAN, PLANT-BASED, GLUTEN-FREE, SOY-FREE, LOW-CARB, VEGETARIAN, FREEZER MEALS, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, INSTANT POT