Chickpea Eggs and Mushrooms in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce are what breakfast skillets aspire to be when they grow up. That’s all we have to say about that.Print
Chickpea Eggs and Mushrooms in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce is a hearty plant-based breakfast packed with over 20g of protein.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 small jalapeño pepper
- 1 8-ounce container cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 batch Vegan Chickpea Flour Scrambled Eggs
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1/8 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- Place oven rack at top position, line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat, and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Optional: While oven is preheating, char the peppers over an open flame on the stove. Allow to cool slightly while prepping the onion and mushrooms.
- Halve the peppers lengthwise, deseed, and place skin side up on the prepared pan. Roast for 15 minutes if charred, or 20 minutes if raw. Remove from oven, place in a large bowl, and cover tightly. Let sit for at 5-10 minutes (this helps to steam the skins), then scrape the skins off and discard. Add all the red peppers and half of the jalapeño to a blender or food processor. Add oregano, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and half of the salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth and taste for heat. Add more jalapeño to desired heat preference and pulse again, until smooth. Set aside.
- While the peppers are roasting, heat a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, add oil, onions, mushrooms, and the remaining salt and pepper, and cook until tender and beginning to brown (7-10 minutes). Flip as needed. Add garlic and stir, then remove from heat, cover, and set aside.
- Once the peppers are pureed and mushrooms are cooked, prepare the Vegan Chickpea Flour Scrambled Eggs. As soon as the eggs are ready, return the mushrooms to medium-high heat and divide the eggs between two plates. Toss the mushrooms a few times, then divide between the plates. Top the eggs with the pepper sauce and serve immediately with extra sauce on the side.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/2 RECIPE) – Calories: 318, Fat: 12.9, Saturated Fat: 8.3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .8g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 632mg, Potassium: 761mg, Carbohydrates: 35.1g total/28g net, Fiber: 7.2 Sugar: 10.2, Protein: 21.2g, Vitamin A: 68%, Vitamin C: 338%, Calcium: 3.3%, Iron: 15.6% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). Water used for liquid in chickpea eggs.
Keywords: VEGAN EGGS, CHICKPEA FLOUR EGGS, CHICKPEA EGGS, PLANT-BASED EGGS, SOY-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN, GRAIN-FREE, PLANT-BASED, EGGLESS, VEGETARIAN, HIGH-PROTEIN, MUSHROOMS, ROASTED RED PEPPER