You know how this goes. You tell yourself you’ll have just one little bite of [insert sugar-laden dessert here]. That is a dirty, dirty lie. But sometimes a girl just needs a crunchy, sugary carb…in this case, without the sugar or carb bomb.
Satisfy your sweet tooth without derailing your week. Cassava flour contains resistant starch, which lowers the blood sugar impact of this carb. Monk fruit sweetener is calorie-free and has a glycemic index (GI) of zero (just like stevia, but without the bitter aftertaste).Print
Sugar-free crispy cassava flour tortillas with cinnamon.
For the Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt to combine.
- Measure 1/3 cup warm water and add oil. Slowly pour liquid into the flour mixture, stirring constantly.
- A crumbly dough will begin to form. Finish incorporating and kneed by hand until smooth. The dough should not be wet or sticky. It feels a lot like “Play-Doh”.
- Form one large ball and cut in half. Then cut each of the smaller balls into three equal pieces. You’ll have a total of six dough balls.
- Place each ball between two pieces of parchment paper and use a tortilla press or rolling pin to roll thin 6-7” circles. Seriously. This press is a worthy investment if you’re grain-free.
- Repeat this process and stack the flattened, parchment-wrapped tortillas beside the stove.
- Heat a dry nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for several minutes and place a couple of cooling racks on the counter near the stove. Don’t have any? Pull an oven rack out (before preheating) and use that.
- Peel the top layer of parchment from the first tortilla. Replace and gently flip. Peel the bottom layer of parchment off and discard. Now you can easily flip the tortilla into the hot pan. This is important because they’re fragile.
- Cook each side for 1-2 minutes. Check when air bubbles begin to form. Flip when ready and continue cooking about a minute. Each side will have brown spots.
- Place cooked tortillas in a single layer on cooling racks.
For the Topping
- Mix monk fruit sweetener and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
Putting it Together
- Brush or spritz each cooked tortilla with olive oil and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place on baking sheets in oven and bake for 2-3 minutes. Watch closely – this is just to melt the topping in with the oil a bit.
- Remove from oven and use a pizza cutter to slice into triangle chips. Serve immediately.
Keywords: sugar-free, cinnamon, tortillas, dessert