Cucumbers in sour cream has been a staple in our European family for as long as we can remember, especially in the summertime when garden cucumbers are plentiful. Coconut yogurt makes our Creamy Vegan Cucumbers as rich and creamy as the original with no dairy or cholesterol and less than a third of the calories and fat. It’s the perfect way for plant-based eaters to enjoy a classic.
We use Persian cucumbers because they have a great crunch, are more flavorful, and contain less water than regular seeded and English cucumbers.Print
Our Creamy Vegan Cucumbers are as rich and creamy as the original with no dairy or cholesterol and less than a third of the calories and fat.
- 1 pound Persian cucumbers, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup plain coconut yogurt (we used So Delicious)
- 3/4 tsp white wine vinegar (apple cider vinegar for paleo)
- 1/4 cup coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- Use a vegetable peeler to cut the cucumbers into strips lengthwise. Place in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt, and toss. Transfer to a clean cotton kitchen towel or paper towel and let sit to sweat out excess water. Dry bowl and set aside.
- Add the coconut yogurt to a glass measuring cup, sprinkle in xanthan gum and stir vigorously to avoid lumps combine completely. Add vinegar (neutralizes the coconut flavor), ground black pepper, and garlic powder, stir, and let rest for five minutes. If making ahead*, cover and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 24 hours, and stir well before using.
- Blot the excess water from the cucumber slices with a clean cotton towel or paper towel and add to the reserved bowl. Add the coconut yogurt mixture to the cucumbers and gently toss. Plate or transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately. Serves two as a main course and four as a side.
*If making ahead of time, keep yogurt mixture and cucumbers separate until ready to serve.
Refrigerate leftovers up to two days and stir before serving (the cucumbers will continue to release liquid).
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/2 RECIPE) – Calories: 59, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1.7g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 168mg, Potassium: 538mg Carbohydrates: 8.8g total/5.2g net, Fiber: 3.6g, Sugar: 3.2g, Protein: 3.2g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0% Calcium: 15.7%, Iron: .7%, Vitamin B12: 26% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 29.5, Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: .8g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 84mg, Potassium: 269mg Carbohydrates: 4.4g total/2.6g net, Fiber: 1.8g, Sugar: 1.6g, Protein: 1.6g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0% Calcium: 7.8%, Iron: .3%, Vitamin B12: 13% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: CREAMY CUCUMBERS, CHOLESTEROL-FREE, POLISH CUCUMBERS, SOUR CREAM CUCUMBERS, LOW-FAT, CUCUMBERS AND SOUR CREAM, VEGAN, SUMMER SALADS, GERMAN CUCUMBERS, MEAL PREP, PLANT-BASED, #SODELICIOUS, COCONUT YOGURT, VEGETARIAN, DAIRY-FREE, PALEO, PERSIAN CUCUMBERS, LACTOSE-FREE, LOW-CARB, GLUTEN-FREE, EASY SIDE DISHES, GRAIN-FREE, HIGH VOLUME, MAKE AHEAD