The time has come for the sweet potato to rise up from the soggy depths of fry oblivion and take its rightful place as a legitimately crispy contender! It just needs a little help because, like the rest of us, it didn’t wake up like this.
Ginormous (we believe that is the technical term) sweet potatoes are ideal for making fries since it is easier to get more uniform cuts. A serving of sweet potato is considered a “medium” spud, about 114 grams, or just over 4 ounces.Print
Crispy Savory Sweet Potato Fries from the oven.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 14 ounces)
- 1 tbsp Anthony’s Arrowroot Flour
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (reserved for sprinkling after baking)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and set aside. Peel the sweet potato and trim ends off, then cut into 1/4″-wide slices. Turn each slice on its side and cut into 1/8 to 1/4″-wide sticks. After peeling and trimming, you’ll be left with roughly 12 ounces of raw fries. Placed cut fries in the bowl of water and let soak.
- Set oven rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Reserve the salt for after the fries are baked. Combine all remaining spices and the flour in a small bowl.
- Strain the potatoes and transfer to a clean cotton kitchen towel (or paper towels). Arrange ins a single layer and dab off any excess water. Rinse and dry the soaking bowl and place the fries back in the bowl, then drizzle with the oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the flour mixture while continuing to toss, until all fries are thinly coated (if using a smaller potato, you will have leftover flour mixture).
- Transfer the fries to the prepared baking sheet in a single layer, spaced as far apart as possible. If you are making more than one potato, you will need more than one baking sheet. If the fries are too close together, they will steam and become soggy.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip, and return oven for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven again, then turn the oven off and close the door immediately. Slide the fries from the parchment directly onto the baking sheet, arrange in a single layer, place the pan back in the oven and let sit another 5 minutes with the oven closed, then a final 5 minutes with the oven open. This timing will vary with the thickness of your fries, so some taste testing quality control may be in order.
- As soon as the fries are done, sprinkle with the reserved salt and serve immediately.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/3 RECIPE) – Calories: 152, Fat: 4.6g, Saturated Fat: .4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .4g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3.3g, Cholesterol: 0g, Sodium: 235mg, Potassium: 542mg, Carbohydrates: 24g total/20.1g net, Fiber: 3.9 Sugar: 7.4, Protein: 2.3, Vitamin A: 438%, Vitamin C: 37%, Calcium: 3.4%, Iron: 4.4% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). Each serving is the equivalent of one medium sweet potato.
Keywords: SWEET POTATO FRIES, VEGAN, OVEN FRIES, PLANT-BASED, CRISPY SWEET POTATO FRIES, VEGETARIAN, PALEO, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE