- 2–3 turkey sausage links or patties (depending on how much meat you want). Frankly, it could be any kind of sausage, but we’re trying to be not-so-fat here, so we’re going with turkey.
- 4 eggs (or equivalent in egg whites)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped white or baby bella mushrooms (a little less if you’re using more meat)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp cool water
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- Preheat oven to 350°F. We cannot stress this enough – don’t go in early.
- In case you didn’t see the Egg Cups with Spinach, Turkey Bacon and Gruyere post, generously coat a “non-stick” muffin tin with EVOO or baking spray. Accept the fact that you will spend a ridiculous amount of time soaking and scrubbing it then tin out, no matter what you sprayed it with. Believe that it is worth it (this time). Resolve to look for a silicone muffin before you do this again.
- Add olive oil to a saute pan and cook the onion and mushrooms over medium heat until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have begun breaking down (abut 10 minutes or so). Set aside.
- Fully cook the turkey sausage in a skillet, cool slightly, and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Easy on the salt.
- Evenly spoon the mushroom and onion combo among the cups.
- Next, evenly distribute the chopped/crumbled sausage between the cups.
- Distribute the eggs evenly between the filled muffin cups (we used a small ladle). Pour slowly and tap the pan to release bubbles.
- Think about how awesome bell peppers would be in this and maybe sneak some in (we didn’t have any on-hand).
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until firm. Bake uncovered if you want the tops to brown or cover with foil if you don’t.
- Let the muffin pan sit for a few minutes and then go around the edge of each cup with a knife to loosen the eggs.
- Pop out and enjoy now or let them cool further and store in an airtight container. Fridge: about 4-5 days, Freezer: 2-3 months. Thaw completely before reheating, 30-40 seconds in the microwave should do it.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
Keywords: breakfast, egg cups