Single-serve egg cups, perfect for breakfast on the run.
Like our Sausage & Mushroom version, these egg cups are great for weekday breakfasts or a quick meal on the run. They freeze and reheat well so you can make batches ahead of time.
Filling options are virtually limitless, making these perfect for even the pickiest eater. Makes 6 servings (double for a 12-cup tin).Print
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 4 eggs (or equivalent in egg whites)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 2 tbsp cool water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. We cannot stress this enough – don’t go in early.
- Generously coat a “non-stick” muffin tin with EVOO or baking spray. Accept the fact that you will spend a ridiculous amount of time soaking and scrubbing it then tin out, no matter what you sprayed it with. Believe that it is worth it (this time). Resolve to look for a silicone muffin pan before you do this again.
- Fully cook the turkey bacon in a skillet, cool slightly, and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste, but go easy on the salt, keeping the bacon and cheese in mind.
- Evenly distribute the spinach between the cups (use more or less, depending on what you like).
- Next, evenly distribute the bacon crumbles and cheese between the cups.
- Distribute the eggs evenly between the filled muffin cups (we used a small ladle). Pour slowly and tap the pan to release bubbles. Top off as needed – you may need to whip up another egg if using less spinach.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until firm. Bake uncovered if you want the tops to brown or cover with foil if you don’t.
- Let the muffin pan sit for a few minutes and then go around the edge of each cup with a knife to loosen the eggs.
- Pop out and enjoy now or let them cool further and store in an airtight container. Fridge: about 4-5 days, Freezer: 2-3 months. Thaw completely before reheating, 30-40 seconds in the microwave should do it.
- Think about how delicious that egg cup was and how you’ll have breakfast for the week, as you scrub the muffin tin repeatedly.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
Keywords: egg cups, spinach, bacon