Single-serve egg cups, perfect for breakfast on the run.
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 4 eggs (or equivalent in egg whites)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 2 tbsp cool water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. We cannot stress this enough – don’t go in early.
- Generously coat a “non-stick” muffin tin with EVOO or baking spray. Accept the fact that you will spend a ridiculous amount of time soaking and scrubbing it then tin out, no matter what you sprayed it with. Believe that it is worth it (this time). Resolve to look for a silicone muffin pan before you do this again.
- Fully cook the turkey bacon in a skillet, cool slightly, and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste, but go easy on the salt, keeping the bacon and cheese in mind.
- Evenly distribute the spinach between the cups (use more or less, depending on what you like).
- Next, evenly distribute the bacon crumbles and cheese between the cups.
- Distribute the eggs evenly between the filled muffin cups (we used a small ladle). Pour slowly and tap the pan to release bubbles. Top off as needed – you may need to whip up another egg if using less spinach.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until firm. Bake uncovered if you want the tops to brown or cover with foil if you don’t.
- Let the muffin pan sit for a few minutes and then go around the edge of each cup with a knife to loosen the eggs.
- Pop out and enjoy now or let them cool further and store in an airtight container. Fridge: about 4-5 days, Freezer: 2-3 months. Thaw completely before reheating, 30-40 seconds in the microwave should do it.
- Think about how delicious that egg cup was and how you’ll have breakfast for the week, as you scrub the muffin tin repeatedly.
Keywords: egg cups, spinach, bacon