If we’re being honest, half the fun of takeout is getting egg rolls. Unfortunately, they’re wrapped in grain, deep fried, and full of soy. The most popular grain-free answer is Egg Roll in a Bowl.
We’ve refined this recipe repeatedly and it has become a house favorite. This recipe makes four hearty, high-protein bowls to keep you satisfied for hours.Print
All the egg roll flavor, none of the egg roll fat.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 small head (4–5 cups) green or red cabbage (or a combination of both), shredded
- 4–5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, matchstick cut
- 1/2 cup low-sodium or unsalted chicken broth
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Red Boat fish sauce (available at most grocers)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp chili garlic sauce, to preference
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: Top with egg or toasted sesame seeds
- In a large measuring cup, mix coconut aminos, chicken broth, chili garlic sauce, fish sauce, ground ginger, and rice wine vinegar. Whisk with a fork to combine and set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add one tablespoon of sesame oil and the diced onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring as needed, until onion is just caramelized. Add second tablespoon of sesame oil and the garlic. Stir frequently and cook until just fragrant, 30 seconds.
- While the onion is cooking, heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Once pan is hot, add turkey and smash down into a thin even layer. The point is to sear one side of the meat until browned. Cook 2-3 minutes, then flip and reduce heat to medium-low. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to break up the turkey and continue cooking until no pink remains. Sprinkle with pinches of salt and pepper (go easy on the salt, though). Add onions and garlic to the turkey and stir to combine.
- Lay the cabbage and carrots on top of the turkey in an even layer and pour the sauce over the top. Use a rubber spatula to make sure you get every drop into the pan. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes to start wilting the cabbage. Stir/toss to combine all ingredients, and continue cooking uncovered until cabbage reaches desired consistency. We recommend removing some of the mixture while it’s still on the crunchy side if you plan to reheat later as leftovers.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Add more chili garlic sauce or sriracha (if you like it hot). Top with a fried or poached egg, if desired. The soft yolk is amazing with this dish. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Even better the next day. Refrigerate in airtight container 3-4 days.
Freeze in an airtight container up to 3 months.
Keywords: egg roll, grain-free, lectin-free, keto, paleo, quick meals, leftover lunches, gluten-free, low-carb, soy-free