Everyone seems to have an icebox cookie variation in their family recipe box and Gluten-Free Pistachio Icebox Cookies is ours. Based on Grandma’s recipe and tweaked to be gluten-free and sugar-free. She always made prolific triple batches into tiny one-bite cookies and used pecans or walnuts. We’re using lightly salted pistachios to make each tiny cookie the perfect sweet and salty bite. We encourage you to mix it up as well. Our family tradition is to store the cookies in the freezer and enjoy them ice cold. If you’ve never tried them this way, it’ll change your life.Print
Our Gluten-Free Pistachio Icebox Cookies are little bites of sugar-free wonder. Make them now and enjoy them for months to come.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into slices
- 1 egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/3 packed cup Swerve Brown Sweetener
- 1 cup Gluten-Free 1:1 all-purpose baking flour, plus a tablespoon for rolling
- 1/2 cup shelled, lightly salted pistachios, measured then finely chopped
- Cream the butter and Swerve Brown Sweetener on medium until fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add the beaten egg and continue mixing for one minute.
- Slowly add the flour, about 1/4 cup at a time, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. Once all flour is incorporated, remove the paddle attachment, add the pistachios and finish mixing with your hands. Form one large ball, then divide that ball in half and form two smaller balls.
- Lightly dust a working surface with some of the reserved flour and roll one of the balls into a log that is one inch in diameter. Pat the ends of the log inward to square off, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place on a baking sheet in the freezer. Repeat with the second ball of dough and let set in freezer for 20-30 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
- Set oven racks to center position and one above center, then preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment and thinly slice each log crosswise with a very sharp knife. Ideally, you want to be between 1/8-1/4″ thick (3/16″, for you sticklers). Thinner slices will make crispier cookies, bake faster, and yield more per batch. The cookies don’t really spread and can be placed about 1/4″ from one another on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes (varies by thickness), turning the sheets and rotating racks halfway through. Watch closely for the last two minutes if going past ten minutes. They should be slightly golden on the bottoms and edges. Cool completely on wire racks to finish crisping up and store in the freezer in zip top bags with excess air removed for up to 3 months.
This is a thick, heavy dough best made in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. After rolling into logs, the dough can be frozen for up to three months, wrapped well to prevent freezer burn.
Not a fan of pistachios? Substitute your favorite finely chopped nuts, minced dried cranberries, or add citrus zest and add a pinch of salt when making the dough.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (4 COOKIES) – Calories: 94, Fat: 6.8g, Saturated Fat: 3.4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.8g, Cholesterol: 23.7g, Sodium: 55mg, Potassium: 41.7g, Carbohydrates: 6.9g total/6.2g net, Fiber: .7g Sugar: 0.2g, Protein: 1.5g, Vitamin A: 4.7, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: .6%, Iron: .9% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: ICEBOX COOKIES, GLUTEN-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, HOLIDAY COOKIES, GLUTEN-FREE COOKIES, PISTACHIO ICEBOX COOKIES, PISTACHIOS, COOKIE RECIPES, EASY COOKIES, FREEZER DOUGH, FREEZER COOKIES, SUGAR-FREE COOKIES