The only thing better than cookies and chocolate is when cookies and chocolate come together in perfect harmony, which is most definitely the case with these Grain-Free Almond Butter Cookie Cups.
The cookie is crunchy on the edges, chewy in the center, and filled with a dark chocolate filling that melts in your mouth. What’s not to love? We have a peanut butter version, too!Print
For Cookie Cups
- 1 cup Anthony’s Blanched Almond Flour
- 3/4 cup smooth almond butter, creamy and well stirred (Justin’s is a great consistency for this recipe)
- 1/2 cup Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seed meal to 2 1/2 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Brown Sweetener
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt, if almond butter is unsalted
For Chocolate Filling
- 1/2 cup Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips or Lakanto Semisweet Baking Chips
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter, creamy and well stirred
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil (use 1 tsp if your almond butter is thick)
- 1 tsp Lakanto Powdered Sweetener
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- You’ll want to use a good quality nonstick metal mini muffin pan. We have not tried this recipe in a silicone pan. While you can use liners for easy removal from the pan, they can be difficult to remove from the cooled cookie cups. We recommend baking without liners, and placing the cup in decorative liners for serving, if desired.
For Cookie Cups
- Add egg, almond butter, Lakanto Classic and vanilla to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer until smooth. Measure almond flour in a large measuring cup and add baking soda and salt (if almond butter is unsalted), then stir to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients while mixing on low. The mixture will be dry and crumbly at first, eventually coming together in a very heavy, thick dough. The oil from the almond butter will visible, but this cooks off during baking and the final product is not greasy.
- Use a small cookie scoop to divide the dough evenly between a total of 24 mini muffin cups. Press down firmly to pack every bit of the cup so there are no gaps on the bottom, then press the centers to create a void that goes 2/3 of the way down through the dough to form a cup (yes, it sounds like it will be too deep but the center will rise a bit while baking, leaving the perfect indentation). Gently pat down any dough that pops pop up around the edges of each cup to level with the pan.
- Make sure the oven is fully preheated and bake the prepared cups for 10 minutes. This baking duration will leave the cups crispy around the edges and softer in the center without being raw. If any of the centers pop up too high, gently press down a bit while the cups are still hot. Cool completely in the muffin tins then gently flip the pans onto a working surface and lift to release cups. If the cups are stubborn, tap the bottom of the individual cups with the back of a tablespoon. They’ll pop right out.
For Chocolate Filling
- Once the cookie cups have cooled and been removed from the pans, add the almond butter, vanilla, coconut oil, and powdered Lakanto to a double boiler and stir well to combine. Add the baking chips to the warm mixture and melt completely. As soon as the chocolate has melted, remove from heat and stir well.
- Let the mixture set up for 2-3 minutes then use a teaspoon filled about half way to fill the cups with the chocolate mixture. If there is any left over, go back a second time to top off any cups that are low.
- Garnish with chopped toasted almonds, if desired, and let the mixture cool completely before storing the cookies.
Cookies will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to a week or can be frozen with parchment between the layers of an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Defrost in refrigerator then bring to room temperature before serving.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Cookies, Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
Keywords: ALMOND BUTTER COOKIE CUPS, CHOCOLATE FILLING, SUGAR-FREE, VEGAN, HOLIDAY BAKING, HOLIDAY COOKIES, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, PLANT-BASED